Artwork showing Santa crucified sparks outrage in NYC (picture)
People in New York City were outraged Sunday after seeing a painting of a crucified Santa Claus outside St. Patrick’s Cathedral.
The artist is Robert Cenedella, and his “artwork” displays Santa hanging on a cross with wrapped presents at his feet.
Cenedella had moved the painting to Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, outside the cathedral, after it was removed from a Manhattan gallery.
New York City Councilman Joe Borelli, R-Staten Island, said Cenedella’s painting threatened to ruin Christmas. “You have to be a real piece of crap to try to ruin Christmas for children and families coming out of Mass,” he said. “For shame!”
Cenedella responded by telling the New York Post that his painting “has been considered controversial from the outset but for the wrong reasons.”
He explained that his painting was more of a metaphor about “how commercialism has really taken over what’s one of the more religious events in history.”
— New York Post (@nypost) December 25, 2017
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Fox contributor files $15M defamation suit for ‘reckless disregard for the truth’ against media outlet
- VIDEO: Michelle Obama declares she’s ‘waiting to be asked’ for help by Democratic nominee
- VIDEO: Video captures horrifying moment of deadly New Zealand volcano eruption, Americans among tourists trapped on island
- VIDEO: Witness makes admission about Ukranian phone call, Schiff jumps in to halt Nunes’s questioning
- REPORT: Mother of San Bernardino terrorist fighting DOJ over life insurance
- REPORT: Social Security announces Cost of Living increase for 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Speculation running wild over mystery about Pelosi’s nose [PHOTOS]
- BREAKING: Chilling new details revealed about Saudi students’ actions before Florida naval base attack [VIDEO]
- VIDEO: Rudy Giuliani snaps at Fox News host: ‘I’m embarrassing you’
- REPORT: Terror attack? Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis calls for gun restrictions after Pensacola shooting