Bannon slams Flake for donation to Democrat
Republican Sen. Jeff Flake (Ariz.) let everyone know via Twitter that he wrote a $100 check on Tuesday to support Democrat Doug Jones in the special election contest to fill Alabama’s empty U.S. Senate seat. Former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon took that as an opportunity to mock the turncoat politician.
“Come on brother, if you’re going to write a check, write a check,” Bannon taunted at a rally for the Republican candidate, Roy Moore. “Support somebody.”
Calling him a “total embarrassment,” Bannon went on to point out that Flake has not even been a supporter of his own party.
“Jeff Flake has done nothing but run the President of the United States down since the president won,” Bannon said. “And then he comes out at the last second and says ‘I’m going to give $100 to a Democrat.’”
Flake posted a picture to Twitter on Tuesday of the check he made out to Jones’ Senate campaign with the memo “country over party.”
Country over Party pic.twitter.com/JZMTaEYdxQ
— Jeff Flake (@JeffFlake) December 5, 2017
Sen. Ben Sasse and other Republicans took Flake’s obvious endorsement for Jones to mean that he must also be pro-choice when it comes to abortion.
In the past few weeks, Moore has seen his polling numbers recover after being accused by multiple women of sexual misconduct.
The Washington Post reported the initial accusations against Moore last month. In that report, four women claimed that Moore came on to them when they were between the ages of 14 and 18, and he was in his 30s. Other women have since come forward with additional allegations.
Moore has repeatedly denied the accusations and has resisted pressure from top Republicans, including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, to drop out of the race.
Trump has endorsed Moore, and the RNC has also decided to back him. The special election is set to take place next week.
For more on this story, click the "read more" button below.
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: Russia’s presidential election results are in…
- BREAKING: Hillary Clinton issues statement about comments she made about Trump voters
- Cirque du Soleil performer dies in fall at Tampa show (video)
- VIDEO: Woman banned from airline after giving oral sex to stranger in bathroom
- TRUMP Tweet: Comey lied under oath (video)
- Sen. Graham calls for Senate hearing on McCabe firing and makes ominous prediction (video)
- Dem threatens to vote to impeach Trump
- POLL: Did Mueller investigation lead to Don Jr. and wife breakup
- Actor Jim Carrey tweets ugly portrait of Sarah Sanders (see painting)
- VIDEO: GOP Sen rips Trump in CNN interview, wants 2020 primary (video)