Beyoncé presents Muhammad Ali Legacy Award to Colin Kaepernick
Former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick was presented with the Muhammad Ali Legacy Award on Tuesday.
Music superstar Beyoncé made a surprise appearance to present the award to the unemployed football player who turned the sport into a political circus by making a point of kneeling during the national anthem in his efforts to point out racial injustice in America.
Sports Illustrated announced Kaepernick as the recipient of the award last week.
The Muhammad Ali Legacy Award is presented annually to a person who “embodies the ideals of sportsmanship, leadership and philanthropy and has used sports as a platform for changing the world,” according to Sports Illustrated.
Kaepernick is receiving the honor because of his “steadfastness in the fight for social justice, for his adherence to his beliefs no matter the cost,” the magazine said.
“I am proud to be able to present this to Colin for his passionate defense of social justice and civil rights for all people,” said Lonnie Ali, Muhammad’s widow, in a statement provided to the magazine. “Like Muhammad, Colin is a man who stands on his convictions with confidence and courage, undaunted by the personal sacrifices he has had to make to have his message heard. And he has used his celebrity and philanthropy to the benefit of some of our most vulnerable community members.”
In 2016, Kaepernick became the first NFL player to kneel during the national anthem in protest of police brutality and racial injustice.
President Trump has criticized Kaepernick and others for kneeling. In September, Trump said that such behavior is an insult to veterans and called the players who participated “sons of bitches.” This caused widespread protests throughout the NFL, with dozens of players dropping to their knees as the anthem played. Some teams even stayed in the locker room in their efforts to opt out of the controversy, to no avail.
Kaepernick recently filed a grievance against NFL owners, accusing them of colluding to keep him out of the league in retaliation for his outspoken views on social justice.
The NFL quarterback was also honored on Sunday with the Eason Monroe Courageous Advocate Award from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).
Beyonce makes a surprise appearance to present Colin Kaepernick with the Muhammed Ali Legacy Award pic.twitter.com/oQzPXFJ0cg
— Luke Kerr-Dineen (@LukeKerrDineen) December 6, 2017
#Repost @nessaonair – Tonight, @trevornoah brought out @beyonce to give Colin Kaepernick the Muhammad Ali Legacy Award. 🔁 @Beyonce ‘With or without the NFL’s platform, I will continue to work for the people’@kaepernick7 receives SI’s… https://t.co/o3WsucqqXG pic.twitter.com/bWKtzhebOv
— KnowYourRightsCamp (@yourrightscamp) December 6, 2017
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Roseanne Barr’s fate on ‘The Conners’ revealed in season premiere
- BREAKING: Nevada brothel owner and GOP candidate found DEAD
- VIDEO: Hillary Clinton’s Van Crashes Upon Arrival at Dem Fundraiser, GOP adds background music
- DML offers Trump $50k to favorite charity in exchange for a White House interview
- REPORT: Avenatti and Stormy Daniels tear into Trump for calling her ‘Horseface’
- REPORT: Clinton launches Twitter storm against Trump, begs Dem voters to do something
- EXCLUSIVE: Urgency increases in project pressuring Trump on mandatory E-Verify
- REPORT: Obituary for mom who died of drug overdose goes viral
- REPORT: Why dozens of black senior citizens were ordered off a bus taking them to vote (Photos, Video)
- REPORT: Kellyanne Conway’s husband pounces on Trump tweet with response