BREAKING: Chinese court sentences Canadian to death; Trudeau blasts move
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by REUTERS.COM:
BEIJING/OTTAWA (Reuters) – A Chinese court on Monday sentenced a Canadian man to be executed for drug smuggling, prompting Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to accuse China of using the death penalty arbitrarily.
The ruling, and Trudeau’s reaction, could aggravate already sour relations between Beijing and Ottawa following the arrest of a senior Chinese executive in Canada and China’s subsequent detention of two Canadians.
The article goes on to state the following:
The Dalian Intermediate People’s Court in China’s northeast province of Liaoning re-tried Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, who had appealed his original 15-year prison sentence, and decided on execution, the court said in a statement.
“It is of extreme concern to us as a government, as it should be to all our international friends and allies, that China has chosen to begin to arbitrarily apply (the) death penalty … as in this case,” Trudeau told reporters in Ottawa.
CLICK HERE to read more from Reuters.
Canadian national sentenced to death in China over drug smuggling charges, further straining ties between the two countries https://t.co/PXd1RGyBom
— The Wall Street Journal (@WSJ) January 14, 2019
A Chinese court has sentenced a Canadian man to death for drug smuggling after prosecutors said his original 15-year sentence was too lenient. https://t.co/xph89HjTkY
— NBC News (@NBCNews) January 14, 2019
Guy Saint-Jacques, former Canadian ambassador to Beijing, has told me that at least two Canadian citizens have previously been executed in China for drug crimes — despite personal pleas by the Canadian prime minister. That update soon in this story:https://t.co/JecISp5Wl0
— Nathan VanderKlippe (@nvanderklippe) January 14, 2019
Breaking: A Chinese court has just handed down a death sentence to Canadian citizen Robert Schellenberg, who it accused of smuggling drugs, after a one-day retrial. https://t.co/owOhIPDgid
— Anna Fifield (@annafifield) January 14, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit REUTERS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting REUTERS.COM
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: White House explains bandage on Trump’s hand, Twitter goes wild (PHOTOS)
- BREAKING: Pelosi sends letter to Trump on his State of the Union address
- VIDEO: Clemson Tigers get ANOTHER meal invite after Trump’s fast-food meal
- REPORT: Kremlin responds to theory of Trump being a ‘Russian agent’
- VIDEO: Border ranchers share alarm about prayer rugs found on their property
- REPORT: Clemson quarterback says White House quote is fake
- BREAKING: Top Trump official resigned over White House Puerto Rico plan
- REPORT: Rashida Tlaib lambasts ‘right wing media’ over coverage of picture with pro-Hezbollah activist
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez, freshmen Dems attempt to hand deliver request to McConnell (pictures)
- REPORT: House passes relief bill to fund government, six Republicans vote with Dems