BREAKING: Congress passes two-week funding extension to avert shutdown, sending to Trump’s desk
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by ROLLCALL.COM:
An extension of temporary appropriations for nine Cabinet departments and dozens of smaller agencies through Dec. 21 is on its way to the president’s desk after the House and Senate passed the measure Thursday.
The legislation would extend current funding levels for two weeks and buy time to reach final agreement on outstanding spending issues, including President Donald Trump’s $5 billion southern border wall funding request. It also extends a number of expiring authorizations including Violence Against Women Act programs, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families and the National Flood Insurance Program for the duration of the stopgap measure.
The article goes on to state the following:
After the House passed the measure by unanimous consent on Thursday, the Senate quickly took it up and passed it on a voice vote. That gives Trump more than 24 hours to sign the legislation before the current stopgap providing funding for those sections of government expires on Friday at midnight. Without the new stopgap in place, a partial shutdown of operations at those agencies would begin at 12:01 a.m.
BREAKING: Senate averts shutdown, postponing fight over Trump’s wall https://t.co/WHNRCDvpxn
— POLITICO (@politico) December 6, 2018
— The Hill (@thehill) December 6, 2018
BREAKING: The House and Senate have passed a two-week extension of government funding, sending it to President Trump for his signature https://t.co/2FyaAOgQq4
— Roll Call (@rollcall) December 6, 2018
To get more information about this article, please visit ROLLCALL.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- UPDATE: David Ortiz shooting: Authorities reveal plot to kill ‘Big Papi’, 6 detained
- REPORT: Mom posts warning about popular video game after 7-year-old’s avatar ‘violently gang raped’
- VIDEO: Trump presents Medal of Honor to Staff Sergeant David Bellavia
- REPORT: Tear Gas And Cages: What Immigration Enforcement Looked Like Under Vice President Joe Biden (PICTURES)
- REPORT: Gillibrand announces progress toward securing 9/11 victim benefits
- REPORT: ‘Latinos For Trump’ Launching In Miami as Democrats target Florida Hispanics for 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Landowner of private border wall faces charges, prison (video)
- REPORT: Heartbreaking footage reveals Venezuela crisis as mother forced to carry dead daughter through streets
- REPORT: Young female cop shot and killed just 2 weeks after being sworn in
- Text messages discredit anti-gun march organizer’s alleged statement claiming Hunter Pollack was invited to speak at march