BREAKING: Democrat socialist becomes youngest woman ever elected to Congress
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has won election to the House, easily fending off a challenge from Republican Anthony Pappas in a heavily Democratic district that encompasses parts of Queens and the Bronx.
The win puts Ocasio-Cortez in the history books: at 29 years of age, she is the youngest woman ever elected to Congress, a mark previously held by Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.), who came to Washington in 2015 at age 30.
The article goes on to state the following:
Although the contest was never close, Pappas’s campaign was rattled in the closing days, when the Republican candidate revealed that his former wife had taken out a restraining order against him amid accusations of domestic violence. The news prompted local GOP leaders to rescind their support just as voters were heading to the polls.
Ocasio-Cortez’s arrival in Washington will be closely watched. Among the Democratic freshman, she is the unquestionable superstar — an Hispanic liberal activist who’s never held political office and yet ousted one of the most powerful Democrats on Capitol Hill with a populist message à la Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.).
Democrat Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has won New York’s 14th Congressional district.
— POLITICO (@politico) November 7, 2018
— TicToc by Bloomberg (@tictoc) November 7, 2018
— CNN (@CNN) November 7, 2018
— Yahoo News (@YahooNews) November 7, 2018
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Will Officially Become the Youngest Congresswoman Ever https://t.co/bJFSXsFeNk
— ELLE Magazine (US) (@ELLEmagazine) November 7, 2018
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Footage emerges of Joe Biden’s senior adviser in 2016 slamming white people
- REPORT: ‘Game of Thrones’ actor speaks out about being sexually assaulted by female fans
- FBI conducts raid on major ‘body broker’ headquarters
- BREAKING: Outrage erupts over $2M bill from North Korea for Otto Warmbier’s care
- VIDEO: ‘Bombshell’ report on James Comey coming in two weeks, attorney says
- VIDEO: Gold-medalist volleyball star shockingly faints during live interview
- REPORT: Sri Lanka officials revise Easter attack death toll by over 100
- VIDEO: 11-Year-Old ‘Drag Queen’ Dances for Dollar Bills in Gay Bar, praised by ABC News
- BREAKING: Florida House votes on banning sanctuary cities
- BREAKING: Trump, White House release formal statements after McCain’s passing