BREAKING: DOJ responds to Roger Stone’s ‘extreme’ sentencing recommendation
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by FOXNEWS.COM:
The Justice Department is preparing to change its sentencing recommendation for Roger Stone after top brass were “shocked” at the stiff prison term initially being sought, according to a senior DOJ official.
Federal prosecutors had recommended that Judge Amy Berman Jackson sentence Stone to between 87 and 108 months in prison for his conviction on seven counts of obstruction, witness tampering, and making false statements to Congress on charges that stemmed from former Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation.
The article goes on to state the following:
In documents filed on Monday evening, prosecutors from the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Washington recommended Stone serve 87 to 108 months after being convicted of lying to Congress and witness tampering. The department is now expected to scale that back.
Fox News reported that the DOJ official, who they did not identify, stated, “The Department finds seven to nine years extreme, excessive and grossly disproportionate to Mr. Stone’s offenses.”
President Trump had tweeted around midnight, “This is a horrible and very unfair situation. The real crimes were on the other side, as nothing happens to them. Cannot allow this miscarriage of justice!”
This is a horrible and very unfair situation. The real crimes were on the other side, as nothing happens to them. Cannot allow this miscarriage of justice! https://t.co/rHPfYX6Vbv
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 11, 2020
However, Fox News reported that the DOJ official said their decision to scale back the sentencing recommendation was made well before the president’s tweet, and said the DOJ will clarify its position on Stone’s sentence later on Tuesday.
“The decision to alter the sentencing recommendation was made before Trump’s tweet, the official said.” https://t.co/iYJE9WfvSB
— Harry Siegel (@harrysiegel) February 11, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit FOXNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Former child star dies at age 25
- VIDEO: CNN Anchor Tells Nancy Pelosi That Trump Was Acquitted — She Interrupts, Claims He Wasn’t
- REPORT: China makes allegation against U.S. over coronavirus outbreak
- OpEd: Bernie Sanders may have just lost Florida to President Trump
- VIDEO: Cops name ‘extremely dangerous’ twice-deported suspect wanted for cemetery murders
- REPORT: Police told a mother her DNA would identify a dead relative. They arrested her son instead.
- VIDEO: Biden threatens gun manufacturers in fiery town hall speech
- REPORT: Clint Eastwood breaks his silence, makes surprising endorsement for 2020 presidential candidate
- VIDEO: Roger Stone greeted by chant after getting 40-month prison sentence
- VIDEO: Ex-ambassador responds to Biden’s claim of getting arrested in South Africa