BREAKING: Emergency declared ahead of Charlottesville anniversary
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by APNEWS.COM:
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam and the city of Charlottesville on Wednesday proactively declared a state of emergency ahead of the one-year anniversary of a violent white nationalist rally that left one person dead and dozens of others injured.
Officials said the declaration would streamline state and local operations this weekend while also allocating $2 million in state funds. The declaration authorizes the Virginia National Guard to assist in security efforts.
The article goes on to state the following:
Law enforcement officials said there will be a heavy police presence meant to deter any violence.
Virginia State Police Superintendent Gary Settle said more than 700 state police will be activated during the weekend and “state police is fully prepared to act” to prevent any incidents like last year.
Only one organizer of last summer’s rally in Charlottesville seems intent on publicly marking the anniversary. Jason Kessler has vowed to press ahead with plans for an Aug. 12 rally in Washington, D.C., after Charlottesville denied him a permit.
Authorities faced unrelenting criticism for their handling of last year’s rally and an independent review that found serious police and government failures in responding to violence at the “Unite the Right” rally. It drew hundreds of white nationalists from across the country to the Virginia college town.
Chaos erupted before the event even began, with participants and counterprotesters brawling in the street. Later, a woman was killed when a car drove into a crowd protesting against the white nationalists, and dozens more were injured.
— World News Tonight (@ABCWorldNews) August 8, 2018
VDEM State Coordinator Dr. Jeff Stern speaking about Virginia State of Emergency Declaration regarding expected Charlottesville and Washington DC events this weekend. @SternJD #resiliantcville pic.twitter.com/SCC7UfEnbk
— VDEM (@VDEM) August 8, 2018
#Breaking – This is Virginia Executive Order 15, declaring a State of Emergency for Charlottesville this weekend…
1st anniversary of Unite the Right protests.
— Mike Valerio (@MikevWUSA) August 8, 2018
Virginia’s governor, city of Charlottesville, declare state of emergency ahead of anniversary of white nationalist rally.. https://t.co/p75L8bIAsU
— The Associated Press (@AP) August 8, 2018
Virginia Governor Ralph Northam declares state of emergency ahead of a white nationalist rally in Washington, D.C., which coincides with the anniversary of the Charlottesville rally
— BNO News (@BNONews) August 8, 2018
— Good Day Atlanta (@GoodDayAtlanta) August 8, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by APNEWS.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting APNEWS.COM
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Rush to judgment? New details emerge on Native American elder’s standoff with MAGA-hat-wearing teens
- VIDEO: Judge Jeanine tears Nancy Pelosi to shreds in blistering monologue, concludes with shocking image
- REPORT: Plane makes emergency landing over poison concerns after passengers start ‘turning green,’ ‘suffocating’
- VIDEO: Liz Cheney: Pelosi ‘Commandeered’ The House On DACA Issue She’s Now Voting Against
- REPORT: Boy’s mother defends son after video of encounter with Native American man
- UPDATE: Thousands sign Catholic high school petition after students harass Native American man
- TRUMP TWEETS Pelosi and economy, DML responds
- REPORT: Jimmy Carter tells Dem Senator: ‘I hope you run for president’
- REPORT: Cardi B and Tomi Lahren get into Twitter fight over government shutdown, Ocasio-Cortez wades in
- REPORT: Longtime Dem to young congress members: ‘stop acting like young people’, Ocasio-Cortez responds