BREAKING: Exclusive: Northam Announces Decision on Resignation to Staff
According to several news outlets, a source has revealed that embattled Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) will not resign despite pressure from his own party after it was revealed that Northam’s medical school yearbook page contained a disturbing “racist” photo.
Talking Points Memo reports Northam “told staff he definitely won’t resign on Friday,” citing “a source familiar with the meeting.”
The Asspciated Press says the source is “Senior official in Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam’s administration.”
The controversial photo sprang up a week ago. In the picture, a person in blackface is seen standing next to a person in a Ku Klux Klan robe. Northam said he is not one of the people featured in the costumes, however he faced immediate calls to resign from some Republicans and many powerful Democrats.
Northam did admit to dressing in blackface while doing a Michael Jackson impression.
— Talking Points Memo (@TPM) February 8, 2019
NEW: Virginia Governor Ralph Northam tells top staff he will not step down, despite pressure from within his own party, AP reports pic.twitter.com/NJEdq3sVKj
— TicToc by Bloomberg (@tictoc) February 8, 2019
— Kevin Corke (@kevincorke) February 8, 2019
Senior official in Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam’s administration says governor has told top staff he doesn’t plan to resign over racist photo despite intense pressure to step down. https://t.co/Beooe9AzwA
— The Associated Press (@AP) February 8, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TALKINGPOINTSMEMO.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: North Carolina father of 6 has neck broken by ‘intense’ wave, killing him in ‘freak accident’
- VIDEO: Teen now permanently blinded as mystery illness progresses after going on cruise
- REPORT: Smollett Tries To Get Special Prosecutor Dropped, Makes New Claim
- REPORT: California couple arrested after strangling newborn baby in hospital, police say
- REPORT: Democrats to face off against a reluctant Mueller
- TEAM DML subscription service. Buy Now.
- REPORT: Trump says he has signed proclamation curbing asylum
- REPORT: CNN guest says GOP is responsible for Trump’s ‘racist’ and ‘un-American ideas’
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez calls for ‘9/11-style commission’ to investigate Trump family separation policy