BREAKING: House Dems yank vote on spending bill over congressional pay raise
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by WashingtonPost:
House Democratic leaders have decided to withdraw part of a massive federal spending bill set for a vote later this week after an uproar over whether members of Congress might see their first pay raise in a decade.
The bill as filed would restore a cost-of-living increase that was suspended amid a recession-battered economy. But lawmakers in both parties, sensitive to the optics of voting to raise their own pay from $174,000, publicly erupted over the issue.
The article goes on to state the following:
A senior Democratic aide, speaking on the condition of anonymity to describe internal deliberations, said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and other leaders have decided to withdraw the portion of the bill funding the legislative branch.
BREAKING: House Democrats are postponing consideration of a bill that would include a pay raise for members of Congress, after facing a major backlash from the party’s most vulnerable membershttps://t.co/wOA9PQy7dy
— POLITICO (@politico) June 10, 2019
BREAKING: House Democrats are postponing consideration of a bill to give themselves a pay raise after facing backlash
— Ryan Saavedra (@RealSaavedra) June 10, 2019
Lol. These people. They make $174,000 yearly, have a light work schedule compared to most 40-hr-a-week folks, & have staffs who cater to their needs, including air travel for which they get line-cutting privileges
And they wanted … a $4,500 raisehttps://t.co/szcjvqRUQB
— Marc Caputo (@MarcACaputo) June 10, 2019
House Democrats yank legislation that would give lawmakers pay hike https://t.co/82o0O2ovjM
— Scott Wong (@scottwongDC) June 10, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit WashingtonPost. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Oklahoma teen accused of threatening to shoot ‘400 people for fun,’ officers make chilling find at her home
- REPORT: GOP signals unease with Barr’s gun plan
- REPORT: NYT reporters make new claim against Kavanaugh
- TRUMP TWEETS: Responds to news report about ‘whistleblower complaint’
- REPORT: Student’s questionable school lunch post goes viral: ‘Sad excuse for a meal’
- BREAKING: Patriots star dumped by Nike after being accused of rape
- Florida sheriff reports about armed officer on school campus
- REPORT: Two former Congressional Black Caucus chairmen back 2020 candidate
- REPORT: ‘Kangaroo justice’: William Barr slams Obama Education Department
- VIDEO: “I hung up the phone and cried”: Dana Perino on the setback that led her to the White House