BREAKING: Judge issues ruling in lawsuit over Obama presidential center
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by NBCCHICAGO.COM:
A judge has ruled against a parks-advocacy group’s lawsuit aiming to stop former President Barack Obama’s museum and library from being built in Chicago’s Jackson Park, allowing construction of the center to move forward.
U.S. District Judge John Robert Blakey on Tuesday dismissed the federal lawsuit filed by Protect Our Parks in 2018 against the city of Chicago and its park district.
The article goes on to state the following:
Protect Our Parks’ lawsuit related to the Obama Presidential Center claimed the city was trying to illegally transfer park land to The Obama Foundation, a private entity, by manipulating the approval process to skirt long-standing laws designed to ensure residents had unobstructed access to lakeside parks.
City lawyers said Protect Our Parks misread the law, misrepresented how the approval process played out and exaggerated potential environmental disruptions.
In a separate report, the Chicago SunTimes provided the following details:
In a surprisingly swift decision Tuesday, Blakey tossed a lawsuit filed by the advocacy group Protect Our Parks that has helped to delay the Obama Center. He said there “should be no delay” in construction and ended an hour of arguments with a terse “this case is dismissed.”
— Scott Fornek (@sfornek) June 11, 2019
A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit seeking to halt construction of the Obama Presidential Center in Chicago’s Jackson Park. https://t.co/SacFj7UffS
— Chicago Tribune (@chicagotribune) June 11, 2019
— ABC 7 Chicago (@ABC7Chicago) June 11, 2019
A federal judge in Chicago says he’ll dismiss a lawsuit brought by a parks advocacy group that is trying to stop former President Barack Obama’s presidential center from being built in a lakefront park. https://t.co/jqvCvZ6EeQ
— AP Politics (@AP_Politics) June 11, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit NBCCHICAGO.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Schiff declares ‘time is running out’ for Mueller
- Fox advertiser: Fox viewers are ‘f-ing idiots’
- BREAKING: Feds swarm ship in Philly port, announce ‘one of largest cocaine seizures in U.S. history’ [VIDEO]
- REPORT: Pelosi makes shocking statement about Trump after deportation announcement
- VIDEO: CNN cuts away from Trump rally after crowd chants ‘CNN sucks’
- REPORT: Fotis Dulos and girlfriend plead not guilty, even as chilling details emerge on his missing Connecticut wife
- VIDEO: ISIS images of a beheaded Scandinavian were sent to victim’s MOTHER
- REPORT: Former Bachelor star Melissa Rycroft ill after trip to Dominican Republic
- TRUMP TWEETS: Outrage over Hope Hicks testimony, slams Dems, witch hunt and more!
- REPORT: Warner Bros. film studio in lockdown after stage hand on Anne Hathaway movie stabbed in neck