BREAKING: Major city makes move to cap ride-hailing services like Uber and Lyft
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TECHCRUNCH.COM:
The New York City Council has approved legislation that will halt the issuing of new licenses for ride-hailing services like Uber and Lyft.
The stated goal of the policy is to give the city time to study the industry’s impact. During that time, ride-hailing companies would only be able to add new vehicles if they’re wheelchair accessible. The legislation also allows the city to set a minimum wage for drivers.
The article goes on to state the following:
There were drivers demonstrating in favor of the bill package outside City Hall today, and the Independent Drivers Guild (which says it represents more than 60,000 drivers for ride-hailing apps in New York City) praised the decision.
Uber and Lyft, meanwhile, had asked their riders to oppose the legislation, saying that it would result in fewer drivers and less reliable service. They also suggested there were other ways to address the underlying issues, and in fact proposed creating a $100 million “hardship fund” for drivers as an alternative.
In a statement to Business Insider, Uber spokesperson Danielle Filson said: “New Yorkers have been demanding that our leaders fix the subways; instead, they have decided to break Uber. Capping Uber will strand riders in the outer boroughs where subway service is the worst.”
Lyft sent a statement to Tech Crunch, from its vice president of public policy Joseph Okpaku, which said: “These sweeping cuts to transportation will bring New Yorkers back to an era of struggling to get a ride, particularly for communities of color and in the outer boroughs. We will never stop working to ensure New Yorkers have access to reliable and affordable transportation in every borough.”
— Uber (@Uber) July 26, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by TECHCRUNCH.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting TECHCRUNCH.COM
Trending on DML News
- POLL: Do you believe the migrant caravan will actually be turned away at the U.S. border?
- REPORT: AP changes headline after outraged liberals complain about description of illegal caravan
- Trump Tweets: Releases statement on unstoppable caravan
- EXCLUSIVE: Hondurans caravan members carry their flag, burn US flag with swastika painted on it (PHOTO)
- REPORT: Bernie Sanders pours cold water on blue wave
- VIDEO: Bangladeshis Joined Migrant Caravan In Guatemala, Univision Correspondent Reports
- BREAKING: Mexican newspaper provides shocking new estimate of migrant caravan numbers
- REPORT: Grassley demands, and receives, explanation for Air Force’s $326G coffee cup spending
- VIDEO: Pelosi responds when asked whether she will be next House Speaker
- BREAKING: Michael Avenatti hit with HUGE DEFEAT in ex-colleague’s lawsuit