BREAKING: Spending talks collapse over ICE demand by Democrats
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
Negotiations on a spending accord needed to avert a government shutdown Friday have nearly collapsed, and Republicans say it’s because House Democrats are pushing for new limits on how many illegal immigrants agents from Immigration and Customs Enforcement can detain this fiscal year, including violent felons.
“Currently there is no cap,” a senior Republican aide close to the negotiations told the Washington Examiner. “They want to put in a cap and have criminals count against it so the number gets smaller and smaller.”
The article goes on to state the following:
The impasse threatens to end any chance of a deal that can be passed in time by both the House and Senate.
“We would have to have something ready by tomorrow and at this point we won’t be ready,” a second GOP aide said.
A senior Democratic aide disputed the Republican position and said the vast majority of detainees are not felons. “What we are doing is trying to have a limit on the number of [detention] beds,” the Democratic aide told the Washington Examiner. “That’s about ensuring that the administration is prioritizing the deportation of violent criminals.”
Spending talks sticking point: House Democrats want to statuatorily limit average daily population in ICE detention centers to 16,500 for remainder of fiscal year. GOP opposes limits and argue it would curb their ability to nab and deport illegal immigrant felons.
— Susan Ferrechio (@susanferrechio) February 10, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: Justice Dept unseals 11-count indictment linked to Russian bribery, Uranium One
- Text messages discredit anti-gun march organizer’s alleged statement claiming Hunter Pollack was invited to speak at march
- BREAKING: Key Cabinet Member Tells Trump He Will Resign After Ukraine Controversy
- REPORT: Jim Acosta fires off tweets aimed at Trump’s presidential address
- CLAIM: Secret Document Reveals China Covertly Offering Missiles and Aid to N. Korea
- REPORT: ICE identifies hundreds of migrants lying about their family status
- POLL: Should Fox News bring Megyn Kelly back to their network?