BREAKING: Supreme Court hands Trump administration a victory in immigration battle
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by FOXNEWS.COM:
The Supreme Court on Tuesday handed the Trump administration a victory in its battle to clamp down on illegal immigration by making it easier to detain immigrants with criminal records.
The ruling that federal immigration authorities can detain immigrants awaiting deportation anytime after they have been released from prison on criminal charges represents a victory for President Trump.
The article goes on to state the following:
In the case before the justices, a group of mostly green card holders argued that unless immigrants were picked up immediately after finishing their prison sentence, they should get a hearing to argue for their release while deportation proceedings go forward. But in the 5-4 decision on Tuesday, the Supreme Court ruled against them, deciding that federal immigration officials can detain undocumented immigrants at any time after their release from local or state custody. The court also ruled the government maintains broad discretion to decide who would represent a danger to the community in deciding who to release or detain.
The Supreme Court says the government can detain — without a bond hearing — immigrants with past criminal records, even if years have passed since they were released from criminal custody. https://t.co/OIJAyjezng pic.twitter.com/qzpingaFz7
— CNN (@CNN) March 19, 2019
The Supreme Court upheld the Trump administration’s power to arrest and hold immigrants indefinitely if they have past crimes on their records that could trigger deportation, even if they had served time years ago for minor drug offenses. https://t.co/89ifOVSPSo
— Los Angeles Times (@latimes) March 19, 2019
The Supreme Court reversed a lower court decision, making it easier to detain undocumented immigrants with criminal records. https://t.co/cAZxSE2VaB
— USA TODAY (@USATODAY) March 19, 2019
— Joseph Gindi (@JosephMGindi) March 19, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit FOXNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Man forced neighbors do chores so ‘they knew what it was like to be slaves’
- VIDEO: FOX affiliate staffer fired after TV station airs grotesque, altered video of President Trump
- BREAKING: Anti-Trump activists hold rallies across US to call for impeachment [VIDEOS, PICTURES]
- TRILOGY DVD (They Come to America I, II, and III)
- VIDEO: Trump comments on Navy UFO sightings
- REPORT: Popular teen magazine promotes prostitution, sexting, to an audience of minors
- VIDEO: Fan who threw beer on NFL player should be prosecuted, agent says
- REPORT: Muslim Mob Burns Christian Church After Arrest
- REPORT: Critics pan Jim Acosta’s new book, Twitter ROASTS him
- REPORT: Dominican model in ‘love triangle between David Ortiz and a drug lord’