BREAKING: Trump’s lawyers respond to Mueller’s interview request
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by NYTimes.com:
WASHINGTON — President Trump’s lawyers rejected the special counsel’s latest terms for an interview in the Russia investigation, countering on Wednesday with an offer that suggested a narrow path for answering questions, people familiar with the matter said.
Jay Sekulow, one of Mr. Trump’s personal lawyers, confirmed that a response was sent but declined to comment on its content. The president’s lead lawyer in the case, Rudolph W. Giuliani, noted the documents that the White House has already provided and said, “We’re restating what we have been saying for months: It is time for the Office of Special Counsel to conclude its inquiry without further delay.”
The article goes on to state the following:
The letter marked the latest back and forth in the eight months of negotiations between Mr. Trump’s lawyers and the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III. Last week, Mr. Mueller proposed a slightly altered format to the expansive interview he wants to conduct with the president.
Mr. Trump’s lawyers did not reject an interview outright but included the narrower counteroffer, one person familiar with the response said. However, Mr. Trump’s lawyers do not want him answering questions about whether he obstructed justice, according to the person, who did not want to be named describing the private negotiations and spoke on condition of anonymity.
The response indicated how far apart the two sides remain. Mr. Mueller wants to question the president on a range of issues, chiefly his associates’ contacts with Russia; possible coordination between his campaign and Moscow’s election interference; and the intent behind presidential actions that could be construed as attempts to obstruct the inquiry, including firing the F.B.I. director.
But the president’s lawyers are concerned that if he is interviewed, Mr. Trump could perjure himself. That concern is in part driving the ongoing negotiations.
.@Judgenap on Mueller interviewing @POTUS: “Do I think that there will ever be a sit down with the president? I don’t. Now as strong-willed as the president is, I think Rudy Giuliani’s gonna explain to him this is a treacherous, treacherous situation for him.” #DailyBriefing pic.twitter.com/LKf2UUFVVd
— Fox News (@FoxNews) August 8, 2018
Trump’s lawyers have rejected Mueller’s latest terms for an interview in the Russia investigation and are seeking a narrower scope, NYT reports.
Source tells NYT that Trump’s lawyers don’t want him answering questions about whether he obstructed justice. https://t.co/xfWRuVrawg
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) August 8, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by NYTimes.com, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting NYTimes.com
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Former ‘Apprentice’ Troy McClain responds to allegations that he played ‘N-word’ tape for Omarosa
- VIDEO: Omarosa drops new bombshell, makes claim about Trump’s knowledge of hacked DNC emails
- BREAKING: Trump campaign takes legal action, seeks ‘millions’ against Omarosa for violating nondisclosure
- BREAKING: Kansas Gov. concedes race for GOP nomination to Trump ally Kris Kobach (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Katrina Pierson releases statement after Omarosa releases audio discussing ‘N-word’ tape
- DML TV: Heroic mom fights off child-snatcher in broad daylight
- BREAKING: Former Trump employee releases statement on Omarosa
- BREAKING: At least 5 shot inside Philadelphia-area Walmart, suspect in custody
- REPORT: Omarosa responds to arbitration action filed by Trump campaign
- REPORT: Philadelphia mom who paid $25k for prom send off is charged with defrauding US government