Church celebrates transgender pastor with ‘renaming’ ceremony
A Lutheran church in New Jersey celebrated the female-to-male transition of a pastor by conducting a renaming ceremony on Sunday.
St. Matthew Trinity Church in Hoboken has been overwhelmingly supportive of transgender Pastor Rose Beeson, 31, who was called “Peter” by Lutheran Bishop Tracie Bartholomew to mark the Beeson’s gender transition.
“I feel embraced by a cloud of saints,” Beeson told WATV.
Congregant Mark Singleton, 21, said that Sunday was “a wonderful day in the life of this radically inclusive community,” according to NJ.com.
“It’s an opportunity for us to live out our mission to accept everyone, not just talk the talk,” said Jen Meusel, 20, another congregant.
Bishop Bartholomew has also been supportive of Beeson’s transition.
“I support Pastor Beeson coming to the realization of who he really is,” Bartholomew said. “St. Matthew Trinity is a welcoming place and showing leadership to respond to gender identity and sexuality.”
According to Beeson, coming out as transgender in the summer of 2017 was “even more important” due to the recent election of President Donald Trump.
“Both I and this congregation thought it was even more important because of that; to be a bold voice that says, Christians also believe transgender people are good and created in the image of God,” Beeson said.
Beeson chose the name Peter purposefully, contending that, biblically, “Peter’s persistence resonated.”
Regarding the support of the church, Beeson said, “I am grateful to be in a congregation, in part to be a bold witness to God’s mercy and grace.”
— TLeonard (@gaymlm) February 12, 2018
Today, we are creating sacred space that allows our Pastor to live more fully into who God is calling him to be. We take a bold step in witnessing to the inclusiveness of God’s love for those within our church and society! #hoboken #transgender #lutheran #faith pic.twitter.com/qvFEWO96q3
— St Matthew Trinity (@HobokenSmt) February 11, 2018
— Trans Equality (@TransEquality) February 8, 2018
“Pastor Peter Beeson is one of the first ministers of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America to… https://t.co/3pQZ6S3Wg7
— TransValid (@TransValid) February 12, 2018
Transgender pastor celebrated at renaming servicehttps://t.co/3bjQgs9e9e
— Chris M Martin (@techmanmartin) February 12, 2018
Trending on DML News
- POLL: Should U.S. taxpayers have to fund education for illegal alien children?
- BREAKING: Two injured in Indiana school shooting, shooter in custody
- Trump Tweets: Releases a Twitter Storm against Dems!
- REPORT: Trump taps vocal anti-illegal immigration advocate for State Dept’s top refugee job
- BREAKING: Over a dozen wounded, some critical, after bomb detonates in Ontario
- REPORT: Obama declares he signed deal with Netflix as platform to train next generation
- Trump Tweet: Responds to North Korea’s reaction to cancelled meeting
- UPDATE: See how many people have signed the IMPORTANT E-Verify petition
- REPORT: Stormy Daniels’ Entourage Accused of Abhorrent Behavior at Iconic Gay Nightclub
- REPORT: Estimated 7,000 bodies may be buried at former asylum