Church celebrates transgender pastor with ‘renaming’ ceremony
A Lutheran church in New Jersey celebrated the female-to-male transition of a pastor by conducting a renaming ceremony on Sunday.
St. Matthew Trinity Church in Hoboken has been overwhelmingly supportive of transgender Pastor Rose Beeson, 31, who was called “Peter” by Lutheran Bishop Tracie Bartholomew to mark the Beeson’s gender transition.
“I feel embraced by a cloud of saints,” Beeson told WATV.
Congregant Mark Singleton, 21, said that Sunday was “a wonderful day in the life of this radically inclusive community,” according to NJ.com.
“It’s an opportunity for us to live out our mission to accept everyone, not just talk the talk,” said Jen Meusel, 20, another congregant.
Bishop Bartholomew has also been supportive of Beeson’s transition.
“I support Pastor Beeson coming to the realization of who he really is,” Bartholomew said. “St. Matthew Trinity is a welcoming place and showing leadership to respond to gender identity and sexuality.”
According to Beeson, coming out as transgender in the summer of 2017 was “even more important” due to the recent election of President Donald Trump.
“Both I and this congregation thought it was even more important because of that; to be a bold voice that says, Christians also believe transgender people are good and created in the image of God,” Beeson said.
Beeson chose the name Peter purposefully, contending that, biblically, “Peter’s persistence resonated.”
Regarding the support of the church, Beeson said, “I am grateful to be in a congregation, in part to be a bold witness to God’s mercy and grace.”
— TLeonard (@gaymlm) February 12, 2018
Today, we are creating sacred space that allows our Pastor to live more fully into who God is calling him to be. We take a bold step in witnessing to the inclusiveness of God’s love for those within our church and society! #hoboken #transgender #lutheran #faith pic.twitter.com/qvFEWO96q3
— St Matthew Trinity (@HobokenSmt) February 11, 2018
— Trans Equality (@TransEquality) February 8, 2018
“Pastor Peter Beeson is one of the first ministers of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America to… https://t.co/3pQZ6S3Wg7
— TransValid (@TransValid) February 12, 2018
Transgender pastor celebrated at renaming servicehttps://t.co/3bjQgs9e9e
— Chris M Martin (@techmanmartin) February 12, 2018
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Wasserman Schultz appointed to House committee charged with oversight of Donald Trump
- BREAKING: President Trump sends letter to Pelosi regarding State of the Union speech
- BREAKING: Pelosi responds to President Trump regarding his State of the Union address
- VIDEO: Kentucky teen in viral video stands firm during grilling by NBC host
- VIDEO: Trump slams Pelosi for cancelling the State of the Union address
- VIDEO: Sarah Sanders responds to Ocasio-Cortez’s end-of-the-world prediction
- BREAKING: Police announce arrest made in case of incapacitated woman who gave birth (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: President Trump responds to news of Pelosi’s dis-invite letter
- REPORT: 10 Democrats break with leaders, support GOP bill
- VIDEO: CNN guest: ‘I am triggered, I’m so triggered’ by MAGA hats