CLAIM: DOJ’s Associate Attorney General resigned over Russia investigation (video)
On Monday, some sources claimed that Associate Attorney General Rachel Brand resigned from her position as the No. 3 official at the Department of Justice (DOJ) last week because she did not want to be asked to take over the Russia investigation.
Brand, who resigned last Friday, was reportedly afraid that with President Donald J. Trump publicly criticizing Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who holds the No. 2 position at the DOJ, Rosenstein would be removed, leaving her in charge of the investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election.
The Hill reports: Sources close to Brand said she did not want to be under the political spotlight that the role would likely bring, according to NBC News.
She also told friends that she was overwhelmed and unsupported at the DOJ, especially due to a lack of Senate-confirmed officials.
In a statement to The Hill, the DOJ pushed back on the NBC report. “It is clear that these anonymous sources have never met Rachel Brand let alone know her thinking. All of this is false and frankly ridiculous,” spokeswoman Sarah Flores said.
She currently oversees 13 divisions, including the department’s civil, civil rights and antitrust divisions. She will leave in the coming weeks to work for Walmart as the executive vice president, global governance and corporate secretary.
“I am proud of what we have been able to accomplish over my time here,” Brand said in a statement.
NBC’s report may be viewed below. If you cannot see the video, you may watch it HERE.
To follow is a report from The Hill, which can also be accessed HERE.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Wasserman Schultz appointed to House committee charged with oversight of Donald Trump
- BREAKING: President Trump sends letter to Pelosi regarding State of the Union speech
- BREAKING: Pelosi responds to President Trump regarding his State of the Union address
- VIDEO: Kentucky teen in viral video stands firm during grilling by NBC host
- VIDEO: Trump slams Pelosi for cancelling the State of the Union address
- VIDEO: Sarah Sanders responds to Ocasio-Cortez’s end-of-the-world prediction
- BREAKING: Police announce arrest made in case of incapacitated woman who gave birth (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: President Trump responds to news of Pelosi’s dis-invite letter
- REPORT: 10 Democrats break with leaders, support GOP bill
- VIDEO: CNN guest: ‘I am triggered, I’m so triggered’ by MAGA hats