CLAIM: DOJ’s Associate Attorney General resigned over Russia investigation (video)
On Monday, some sources claimed that Associate Attorney General Rachel Brand resigned from her position as the No. 3 official at the Department of Justice (DOJ) last week because she did not want to be asked to take over the Russia investigation.
Brand, who resigned last Friday, was reportedly afraid that with President Donald J. Trump publicly criticizing Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who holds the No. 2 position at the DOJ, Rosenstein would be removed, leaving her in charge of the investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election.
The Hill reports: Sources close to Brand said she did not want to be under the political spotlight that the role would likely bring, according to NBC News.
She also told friends that she was overwhelmed and unsupported at the DOJ, especially due to a lack of Senate-confirmed officials.
In a statement to The Hill, the DOJ pushed back on the NBC report. “It is clear that these anonymous sources have never met Rachel Brand let alone know her thinking. All of this is false and frankly ridiculous,” spokeswoman Sarah Flores said.
She currently oversees 13 divisions, including the department’s civil, civil rights and antitrust divisions. She will leave in the coming weeks to work for Walmart as the executive vice president, global governance and corporate secretary.
“I am proud of what we have been able to accomplish over my time here,” Brand said in a statement.
NBC’s report may be viewed below. If you cannot see the video, you may watch it HERE.
To follow is a report from The Hill, which can also be accessed HERE.
For more on this story, click the "read more" button below.
Trending on DML News
- Florida lawmaker’s aide fired after claiming Florida shooting survivors are actors
- Florida student speak out: I’m not a crisis actor (video)
- Pelosi proposes SHOCKING alternative to border wall (video)
- Prominent attorney charged for sexually abusing dog (video)
- UPDATE: 7th grader who shot himself at school had alarming items in backpack
- Trump accuser makes ominous threat (video)
- Reader sends screenshot of Facebook’s new censorship ploy (picture)
- Mueller files additional charges against Manafort, Gates
- REPORT: Retired sanitation worker makes $285K a year from pension
- WaPo publishes video comparing Trump and Obama reactions to school shootings (video)