Claim: French president says he changed Trump’s mind on Syria
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by Axios:
French President Emmanuel Macron claimed in a television interview that France has convinced President Trump that it is “necessary” to remain in Syria “long-term,” according to the AFP.
Why this matters: If Trump follows through on this alleged commitment to Macron, it would be one of the biggest and most abrupt foreign policy reversals in his presidency. Trump has demanded for months — over the objections of his national security team — that his administration withdraw U.S. troops from Syria.
It is important to note that the article goes on to state the following:
“Ten days ago, President Trump was saying the United States of America had a duty to disengage from Syria,” said Macron, according to Agence France-Presse White House correspondent Jérôme Cartillier. “We convinced him it was necessary to stay. I assure you, we have convinced him that it is necessary to stay for the long-term.”
According to the report, Trump thinks it may not be possible to fix Syria, and that American involvement is “a waste of lives and money” for which “the U.S. gets ‘nothing.'”
Yet after seeing images of children who were gassed, Trump “flips in the other direction and issues missiles to Syria — as he did on Friday and last year.”
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting Axios.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Father-of-three blows up home on day of daughter’s wedding
- REPORT: Liberal paper passed on thinly sourced Kavanaugh story before NYT published it
- REPORT: Kim Jong Un sends invitation to President Trump
- Growing ‘Garbage Patch’ in ocean is 3 times the size of France (videos)
- How You Can Help Stop Amnesty
- Man tries to bribe wheelchair-bound woman after sexually assaulting her
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez makes request on Manafort being sent to Rikers Island