Cliven Bundy considering legal action against feds
Following the Monday dismissal of charges against Cliven Bundy, the Nevada rancher is reportedly considering filing a lawsuit against the federal government for malicious prosecution and civil rights violations.
According to attorney Larry Klayman, a conservative activist and former Justice Department lawyer who has represented Bundy in other matters, Bundy, 71, might also file ethics complaints against federal prosecutors, The Washington Times reported.
Bundy’s potential lawsuits are related to the court battle that concluded Monday when U.S. District Court Chief Judge Gloria Navarro dismissed the government’s case against Bundy and characterized the conduct of the federal prosecutors in the trial as “outrageous.” Navarro also said that the prosecutors in the case “violated due process rights” of the defendants.
Navarro ordered Bundy to be released from prison immediately.
Klayman contended that Navarro “didn’t dismiss this matter out of the goodness of her heart. It was like rats fleeing a sinking ship.”
“But what she said was extremely strong against prosecutors and against the FBI in particular,” he said. “This is yet the latest FBI scandal. [She] accused them of lying and hiding evidence, calling it ‘outrageous.’”
Navarro lambasted prosecutors from the U.S. Attorney’s office in Nevada for willfully withholding potentially exculpatory evidence from the defense, including FBI surveillance and sniper records from the April 2014 armed confrontation that occurred at the Bundy ranch near Bunkerville, Nevada.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: New details emerge on judge who upheld subpoenas on Trump’s bank records
- BREAKING: Lone Republican blocks House passage of disaster relief bill
- REPORT: Calif. Senate passes humongous spending plan that would expand benefits to people in U.S. illegally
- REPORT: House Intelligence enjoys breakthrough with Justice Department
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham predicts Dems’ reaction to declassification of documents on Trump campaign surveillance
- REPORT: Trump, Pelosi wage Twitter war over ‘stammer’ video
- REPORT: Meteorologist fact-checks Ocasio-Cortez after her bizarre claim about tornado
- REPORT: Suspected illegal immigrant accused of impregnating 11-year-old girl [VIDEO]
- REPORT: Twitter permanently bans two famous Trump antagonists
- REPORT: Harvey Weinstein reaches massive deal to settle sex assault civil suits