Colbert puts Franco in the hot seat (video)

BY KAT SHEPHERD / JANUARY 10, 2018 /

GET the DML NEWS APP (FREE) Click Here

Actor James Franco was asked about the sexual misconduct allegations made against him on CBS’ “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” Tuesday night. Plugging his new movie, Franco sat for an interview with Colbert, who used the opportunity to delve into the allegations which hit social media earlier this week.

As DML News reported on Monday, during the Golden Globes on Sunday night, actor James Franco wore a “Time’s Up” pin, which signifies support for the fight against sexual misconduct in Hollywood. His support for the movement was deemed hypocritical by women accusing him of being part of the problem.

As Franco took home a Golden Globe, the 39-year-old actor’s alleged past came back to haunt him, as an unverified Twitter account for actress Ally Sheedy posted comments about him, saying, “James Franco just won. Please never ever ask me why I left the film/tv business,” and “Why is a man hosting? Why is James Franco allowed in? Said too much.”

Also on Twitter, actress Violet Paley accused Franco of sexual misconduct, while filmmaker Sarah Tither-Kaplan posted a tweet about Franco having her do a questionable nude scene.

Asked about the allegations (see video below), Franco said that what he’s heard regarding the tweets is not accurate, but he supports people coming out “because they didn’t have a voice for so long.”

“I pride myself on taking responsibility for things that I have done,” Franco told Colbert. “The things that I heard that were on Twitter are not accurate, but I completely support people coming out and being able to have a voice because they didn’t have a voice for so long, so I don’t want to shut them down in any way. I think that it’s a good thing and I support it.”

“I’m here to listen and learn and change my perspective where it’s off, and I’m completely willing and want to,” he added.

Franco restated his support for the “Time’s Up” movement and said that “if there’s restitution to be made, I will make it.”

Sheedy’s tweets, now removed, were also addressed. Franco told Colbert that he remembered having a positive working relationship with Sheedy when he directed her in an off-Broadway play in 2014, saying he had “nothing but a great time with her” and couldn’t account for her tweets.

Many Twitter users pointed out on Sunday that Franco was the subject of a 2o14 incident, in which Franco admitted to trying to arrange a sexual encounter with a 17-year-old girl in a New York hotel, where the legal age of consent is 17. Still, many people found the attempt distasteful to say the least, and Franco said in an apology that he’d shown bad judgement.

Franco’s appearance with Colbert came hours after The New York Times canceled a public event scheduled on Wednesday which was intended to feature “The Disaster Artist” director and star and his brother and co-star, Dave Franco, discussing the film with a Times reporter, according to The Associate Press.

In a statement, the Times said it canceled the event “given the controversy surrounding recent allegations.”

Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW