Congressional Black Caucus leader goes after Trump
Congressional Black Caucus Chairman Cedric Richmond (D-La.) slammed President Donald Trump’s disparaging comments regarding Haiti and African nations on Thursday, saying Trump’s “Make America Great Again” slogan “is really code for Make America White Again.”
“President Trump’s comments are yet another confirmation of his racially insensitive and ignorant views. It also reinforces concerns that we hear every day, that the President’s slogan Make America Great Again is really code for Make America White Again,” Richmond said in a statement.
Trump made those comments in response to lawmakers who suggested extending Temporary Protected Status (TPS), a reprieve from deportation, to immigrants from Haiti and African nations, calling them “shithole countries.”
An outspoken critic of Trump’s, Richmond has often accused the President of ignorance and insensitivity in regards to racial issues. During an interview on CNN’s “Anderson Cooper 360,” Richmond noted that he was not surprised that Trump would say such a thing.
According to Richmond’s statement, “All of the reservations we have had about negotiating with him are well-founded. President Trump is clearly more concerned with ending the future flow of immigrants from Africa and the African disaspora than providing relief to Dreamers. Unfortunately, there is no reason to believe that we can negotiate in good faith with a person who holds such vile and reprehensible beliefs.”
Congressional Black Caucus: “The President’s slogan Make America Great Again is really code for Make America White Again.” pic.twitter.com/khcb34VFE6
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) January 12, 2018
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: Amazon announces list of 20 cities as finalists for 2nd headquarters
- POLL: Do you approve of Trump issuing the ‘fake news’ awards?
- Portion of California declares it’s independence from state (video)
- NYC residents outraged over De Blasio’s choice of location for homeless shelter (photos)
- Woman assaulted at nightclub goes to hospital and makes horrifying discovery (video)
- Somalian Muslim immigrant cop arrested at concert (video)
- U.S. removes Haiti from low-skilled work visa list
- House Intel Committee releases full transcript of Fusion GPS testimony
- Memo on FISA abuses outrages GOP lawmakers, demand it be released to public (Video)
- Timberlake includes Trump in controversial music video (video)