Congressional Black Caucus leader goes after Trump
Congressional Black Caucus Chairman Cedric Richmond (D-La.) slammed President Donald Trump’s disparaging comments regarding Haiti and African nations on Thursday, saying Trump’s “Make America Great Again” slogan “is really code for Make America White Again.”
“President Trump’s comments are yet another confirmation of his racially insensitive and ignorant views. It also reinforces concerns that we hear every day, that the President’s slogan Make America Great Again is really code for Make America White Again,” Richmond said in a statement.
Trump made those comments in response to lawmakers who suggested extending Temporary Protected Status (TPS), a reprieve from deportation, to immigrants from Haiti and African nations, calling them “shithole countries.”
An outspoken critic of Trump’s, Richmond has often accused the President of ignorance and insensitivity in regards to racial issues. During an interview on CNN’s “Anderson Cooper 360,” Richmond noted that he was not surprised that Trump would say such a thing.
According to Richmond’s statement, “All of the reservations we have had about negotiating with him are well-founded. President Trump is clearly more concerned with ending the future flow of immigrants from Africa and the African disaspora than providing relief to Dreamers. Unfortunately, there is no reason to believe that we can negotiate in good faith with a person who holds such vile and reprehensible beliefs.”
Congressional Black Caucus: “The President’s slogan Make America Great Again is really code for Make America White Again.” pic.twitter.com/khcb34VFE6
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) January 12, 2018
Trending on DML News
- GONE VIRAL: Mom of killed Navy SEAL hero rips Democrat for Purple Heart for Strzok comment
- Gowdy: Rosenstein should not be impeached, public hearings a joke
- REPORT: James Woods threatened by Stormi Daniels’ lawyer
- REPORT: California Dems stun Sen Feinstein
- POLL: Who is the most dangerous Democrat in 2020?
- REPORT: Gowdy says Mueller probe is not a witch hunt
- CLAIM: Princes Charles and William refused to meet Trump
- REPORT: White House explains why interview with CNN was cancelled
- ANSWER to who had more fake Twitter accounts, Obama, Clinton or Trump
- VIDEO: Hillary Clinton Attacks Trump With Vengeance In Address To Teachers Convention