Connecticut city’s written rules goes gender-free
In Stamford, Connecticut, gender pronouns are being removed from the rules of order for the city’s Board of Representatives. The legislative body put it to a vote, and is now using people’s titles in their rules of order, according to the Stamford Advocate.
The issue was brought to the table by Raven Matherne, Connecticut’s first openly transgender elected official. Matherne was joined by two other Democratic representatives in proposing the change, which Matherne said was initiated “to acknowledge the members of this board, just as in each of our districts and the city at large, cannot always be described as he or she.”
According to the Advocate, in proposing the change to the board on Jan. 2, Matherne said, “The 30th Board of Representatives is the first of its kind in our city that isn’t 100 percent cisgender. Indeed, to the best of my knowledge, it’s the first board of its kind in our state to count an elected openly transgender member among its ranks.”
“Cisgender” is a term used to describes a person whose gender identity matches the gender they were assigned at birth.
The chairman of the Legislative and Rules Committee, Benjamin Lee, called the change a “modernization” when it passed earlier this month.
“Gendered nouns are no longer used as often in legal documents or legislative documents,” Lee said.
Local LGBT community advocates have praised the change, and the measure passed unanimously with one abstention.
The transgender community may see another peace offering by the city, as it is considering an update to its building codes to support gender-neutral bathrooms.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Parents Outraged Over Planned Parenthood’s Pornographic Sex Ed
- REPORT: Melania Trump Poses for pic with Clintons, Obamas and Bush family
- Former NFL star’s gun photo with daughter and date sparks outrage on Twitter (see it)
- REPORT: Bloomberg circumvents Trump, gives millions to fund deal that the president pulled out from
- VIDEO: Judge resigns after berating ill defendant who DIES three days later
- REPORT: Hillary Clinton slams Rudy Giuliani in tweet
- REPORT: Evangelical meeting turns to Trump-bashing
- VIDEO: Woman fined $500 for free airline snack
- CLAIM: ‘Real Collusion’ was between McCabe and Obama Justice Department
- DML TV: Guest to Bill Maher: ‘You need to have respect’ for Trump supporters