Cop disciplined for accusing colleague of ‘white privilege’ (video)
A comment about “white male privilege” has landed one female police captain (also white) in hot water. Captain Carri Weber of Indiana’s Plainfield Police Department was placed on administrative leave on Nov. 16, after telling a fellow officer he’d benefited from “white male privilege.”
The incident occurred on Nov. 1 incident, according to RTV6, during a police supervisors’ Transgender Awareness Training session. The officers were looking at slides related to statistics on transgender people, led by representatives from the Justice Department.
One statistic said transgender people are three times more likely to experience police violence. An unidentified officer, who was listed only as a 28-year veteran of the department, questioned the statistic.
“That’s not even accurate,” the officer said. “Because if you can’t have a basis for where the number comes from, or what the situation is that puts them in that situation – I mean, are they more likely to be in that situation?”
“I mean, are they more likely to be in that situation than someone who’s not transgender?” he continued. ”
“I’m just saying, my life has never been a part of police violence. Most of the people that I know have never been… accused the police of violence,” he said. “So, I guess I don’t get where that statistic comes from.”
In a video (see below), Weber can be heard responding off-camera: “Because of your white male privilege, so you wouldn’t know.”
At Weber’s proclamation, the room erupts. The unidentified cop is enraged, and others in the room vocalize their surprise. The speaker seems shocked, as well, and another officer steps in to calm the situation.
The unidentified officer, who is now being accused of benefiting from “white male privilege,” says, “Chief, you gonna let her get away with that? Seriously? I’m asking a legitimate question here, and I’m getting [unintelligible] white privilege? Are you serious? I find that extremely offensive.”
The officer can be seen standing at the front of the room and stating his discomfort with Weber’s statement in the video. He later filed a complaint against Weber, on Nov. 10, claiming that he was “racially and sexistly slurred.”
“I was racially and sexistly slurred by Captain Carri Weber while I was asking a question of the instructor in training,” the officer wrote. “I am now firmly aware of the discriminatory belief she just verbally communicated. … There is no place in the Plainfield Police administration or supervision for someone who holds and espouses her discriminatory views.”
Now on leave, Weber’s future with the department will be decided by the Plainfield Board of Commissioners, who will vote on the matter Thursday, according to Channel 6.
Reportedly, this isn’t Weber’s first suspension. She was suspended for two weeks on a previous occasion for violating the department’s drug and alcohol policies.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Democrat congress members took $60,000 trip to attend Beyonce concert in South Africa
- OpEd: Venezuelan who fled socialism publishes alarming warning on Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘Green New Deal’
- BREAKING: ‘Empire’ producers announce decision on Jussie Smollett following charges
- VIDEO: Roseanne Barr releases video blasting Ocasio-Cortez and socialism
- VIDEO: Trump has a plan to deal with attempt to block emergency order
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez rips media for reporting on her new luxury high-rise
- VIDEO: State senator calls U.S. flag a ‘rag,’ compares it to Nazi symbol, GOP senator gives emotional response
- REPORT: Covington Catholic lawyer ‘looking very carefully’ at Bill Maher over ‘defamatory’ statements (VIDEO)
- BREAKING: Singer R. Kelly Charged With Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse
- VIDEO: Jussie Smollett disses Donald Trump in leaked video of scrapped ‘Drop the Mic’ episode