Defense in Kate Steinle shooting wants gun conviction tossed
Lawyers for illegal immigrant Jose Ines Garcia Zarate, who was acquitted in the shooting death of Kate Steinle, said Monday they will seek to have a judge toss his gun possession conviction.
Claiming that the Mexican man did not know that he was holding a gun in his hand until it fired, Zarate’s lawyers don’t think he should be convicted of anything.
Zarate claimed he found an object wrapped in a T-shirt under a bench on a pier. When he picked it up, the object turned out to be a gun and it surprisingly went off in his hand, killing Steinle in a random, unintentional accident.
Stating that this doesn’t constitute possession of a weapon, the lawyers say they will request the dismissal after a sentencing hearing, planned for Dec. 14.
Zarate was acquitted last week of murder, involuntary manslaughter, and assault with a deadly weapon in the 2015 shooting death of Steinle.
Prior to his arrest for the shooting, Zarate had been deported five times. Just weeks before he killed Steinle, the San Francisco sheriff’s department released the illegal alien despite a federal immigration request to have him detained.
Zarate, who has been in jail since July 1, 2015, is facing a maximum sentence of three years in prison for the weapon possession conviction.
Immigration authorities said they will deport Garcia Zarate after he serves his sentence.
Trending on DML News
- Texas husband decapitates wife in front of kids, stuffs head into freezer
- Sandy Hook mom blasts Trump on anniversary of shooting
- BREAKING: Amtrak train derails over highway overpass (video)
- Millionaire heir and friend kill woman, burn her body in incinerator
- Woman savagely mauled and killed by her own dogs (video)
- BREAKING: TRUMP says he does not plan to fire Robert Mueller (video)
- POLL: Who is the worst president since 1969
- REPORT: Obama stopped US task force from taking down Hezbollah’s criminal network in order to secure his Iran nuke deal
- Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner sued
- Here’s why Jason Priestley punched Harvey Weinstein in 1995