Defense in Kate Steinle shooting wants gun conviction tossed
Lawyers for illegal immigrant Jose Ines Garcia Zarate, who was acquitted in the shooting death of Kate Steinle, said Monday they will seek to have a judge toss his gun possession conviction.
Claiming that the Mexican man did not know that he was holding a gun in his hand until it fired, Zarate’s lawyers don’t think he should be convicted of anything.
Zarate claimed he found an object wrapped in a T-shirt under a bench on a pier. When he picked it up, the object turned out to be a gun and it surprisingly went off in his hand, killing Steinle in a random, unintentional accident.
Stating that this doesn’t constitute possession of a weapon, the lawyers say they will request the dismissal after a sentencing hearing, planned for Dec. 14.
Zarate was acquitted last week of murder, involuntary manslaughter, and assault with a deadly weapon in the 2015 shooting death of Steinle.
Prior to his arrest for the shooting, Zarate had been deported five times. Just weeks before he killed Steinle, the San Francisco sheriff’s department released the illegal alien despite a federal immigration request to have him detained.
Zarate, who has been in jail since July 1, 2015, is facing a maximum sentence of three years in prison for the weapon possession conviction.
Immigration authorities said they will deport Garcia Zarate after he serves his sentence.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Roseanne Barr’s fate on ‘The Conners’ revealed in season premiere
- BREAKING: Nevada brothel owner and GOP candidate found DEAD
- VIDEO: Hillary Clinton’s Van Crashes Upon Arrival at Dem Fundraiser, GOP adds background music
- DML offers Trump $50k to favorite charity in exchange for a White House interview
- REPORT: Clinton launches Twitter storm against Trump, begs Dem voters to do something
- VIDEO: Roseanne fires back at show after character killed off
- REPORT: Kellyanne Conway’s husband pounces on Trump tweet with response
- EXCLUSIVE: Urgency increases in project pressuring Trump on mandatory E-Verify
- REPORT: Obituary for mom who died of drug overdose goes viral
- REPORT: Why dozens of black senior citizens were ordered off a bus taking them to vote (Photos, Video)