Dem congresswomen plan fashion statement for State of the Union event
Democratic women in Congress intend to imitate a fashion statement made at Sunday’s Golden Globe Awards and wear black to President Donald Trump’s State of the Union address on January 30.
According to Rep. Jackie Speier, D.-Calif., the Democratic Women’s Working Group, which includes all of the Democratic women in the House, strongly supports the “wear black” initiative, NBC News reported.
“This is a culture change that is sweeping the country, and Congress is embracing it,” Speier said Tuesday.
Speier and the other members of the DWWG have invited men and women of both parties to join them in wearing black to the State of the Union address.
In support of the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements, many women and several men dressed in black for the Golden Globe Awards on Sunday in Beverly Hills, California, a demonstration of solidarity with victims of sexual misconduct.
The women of the DWWG have previously joined together to make a fashion statement. In February 2017, many of the congressional Democratic women wore white to Trump’s first joint address to Congress, labeling it “suffragette white,” in support of the women’s rights movement which has, in the past, encouraged its supporters to wear white as a representation of purity.
At the time, the Democratic members of Congress dressed in white to show support for Planned Parenthood, affordable health care, reproductive rights, equal pay, paid leave, affordable child care and “lives free from fear and violence,” according to a statement from Florida Democratic Rep. Lois Frankel, the chairwoman of the group.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Wasserman Schultz appointed to House committee charged with oversight of Donald Trump
- BREAKING: President Trump sends letter to Pelosi regarding State of the Union speech
- BREAKING: Pelosi responds to President Trump regarding his State of the Union address
- VIDEO: Kentucky teen in viral video stands firm during grilling by NBC host
- VIDEO: Trump slams Pelosi for cancelling the State of the Union address
- VIDEO: Sarah Sanders responds to Ocasio-Cortez’s end-of-the-world prediction
- BREAKING: Police announce arrest made in case of incapacitated woman who gave birth (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: President Trump responds to news of Pelosi’s dis-invite letter
- REPORT: 10 Democrats break with leaders, support GOP bill
- VIDEO: CNN guest: ‘I am triggered, I’m so triggered’ by MAGA hats