Dem vows to force vote to impeach Trump
Democratic Rep. Al Green (Texas) is moving ahead with his losing proposition to impeach President Donald Trump, despite the fact that even members of his own party are against him.
“Friends, whether we like it or not, we now have a bigot in the White House who incites hatred and hostility,” Green wrote in a letter to colleagues Tuesday, explaining his proposal. “The question isn’t whether we have a bigot as president. The question is: What are we going to do about it?”
Green promised to introduce his resolution on Wednesday, under a rule that requires the chamber to vote on the issue within two days. If he follows the proper procedures, Republicans will hold a vote on tabling, which would effectively kill the proposal during the House’s first series of votes on Wednesday, according to a GOP leadership aide who spoke to The Washington Times on condition of anonymity.
Green’s effort is certain to be opposed by all Republicans, according to the report.
Even Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is opposed to the idea. In the wake of special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into the connections between Russia and Trump’s 2016 campaign, Pelosi has said any impeachment effort should be put on hold until there’s evidence of an impeachable offense. So far, there has been no evidence that Trump “colluded” with the Russians to win the 2016 election.
However, Democrats also fear that opposing Green’s resolution puts them at risk of angering many of the party’s rabidly anti-Trump voters.
Trending on DML News
- Trump Tweet: Video of Hillary Clinton: ‘This is classic!’
- REPORT: Injured, starving teen found living in barn was ‘within a week of death’
- VIDEO: Rand Paul blocks Sanders’ resolution, calls it ‘crazy hatred’ against Trump
- BREAKING: Mueller offered Podesta immunity to testify against Manafort, claims Fox News host
- REPORT: Woman robs, murders mom, grandmother and goes on spending spree
- FOOD WARNING: Popular sweet treat recalled amid salmonella scare
- VIDEO: Democrats erupt in ’USA’ chant on House floor
- BREAKING: NFL team to discipline players who protest during national anthem
- REPORT: Video emerges of Melania Trump looking horrified after shaking Putin’s hand
- REPORT: Maxine Waters warns supporters of possible ‘armed protests’ against her