Dems to bring special guests to make statement at State of the Union address
In an attempt to raise awareness of the issue of sexual assault, some House Democrats are planning to invite survivors of sexual assault as their guests to President Donald Trump’s first State of the Union address on January 30.
“Some members will be bringing survivors of sexual assault and advocates as their guests,” an aide to Rep. Lois Frankel, D.-Fla., who asked to remain anonymous, told NBC News.
The report follows a Tuesday announcement by Rep. Jackie Speier, D.-Calif., that she and other female House members are inviting other lawmakers join them in wearing black to Trump’s State of the Union to display solidarity with the anti-sexual harassment “Me Too” and “Time’s Up” movements.
“This is a culture change that is sweeping the country and Congress is embracing it,” Speier told The Hill in a statement.
Speier said the Democratic Women’s Working Group, which includes all of the Democratic female House members, was inviting Democrat and Republican lawmakers to wear black to the event, and that support is very high.
Rep. Earl Blumenauer, an Oregon Democrat, announced last week that he would boycott Trump’s State of the Union address.
“Rather than listening to yet another destructive and divisive speech by Trump, I will not attend this year’s annual address to Congress,” Blumenauer said in a statement. “Instead, like I did during Trump’s Inauguration, I will be working here at home listening to Oregonians about what they think about the State of the Union.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Roseanne Barr’s fate on ‘The Conners’ revealed in season premiere
- BREAKING: Nevada brothel owner and GOP candidate found DEAD
- VIDEO: Hillary Clinton’s Van Crashes Upon Arrival at Dem Fundraiser, GOP adds background music
- REPORT: Avenatti and Stormy Daniels tear into Trump for calling her ‘Horseface’
- DML offers Trump $50k to favorite charity in exchange for a White House interview
- REPORT: Clinton launches Twitter storm against Trump, begs Dem voters to do something
- EXCLUSIVE: Urgency increases in project pressuring Trump on mandatory E-Verify
- REPORT: Obituary for mom who died of drug overdose goes viral
- REPORT: Why dozens of black senior citizens were ordered off a bus taking them to vote (Photos, Video)
- REPORT: Kellyanne Conway’s husband pounces on Trump tweet with response