Discovery of unexploded WWII bomb shuts down airport
The London City Airport was temporarily closed Monday due to the uncovering of a WWII bomb.
The bomb was found in the River Thames, and authorities quarantined the zone for proper and safe removal.
The New York Post reports the following:
“LONDON — All flights to and from London’s City Airport were cancelled on Monday after an unexploded World War Two bomb was found in the River Thames at George V Dock, the airport said.
Police said the ordnance was found during work at the airport on Sunday and they set up a 200-meter exclusion zone.
The Metropolitan Police said properties within the exclusion zone had been evacuated and a number of roads were cordoned off.
Robert Sinclair, CEO of London City Airport, the city’s fifth biggest and the most central, said: “The airport is cooperating fully with the Met Police and Royal Navy and working hard to safely remove the device and resolve the situation as quickly as possible.””
— Metropolitan Police (@metpoliceuk) February 12, 2018
First photos from our @RoyalNavy bomb disposal experts who are @LondonCityAir with @metpoliceuk where a 500kg German air-dropped bomb was discovered yesterday. It will be destroyed as soon as safe to do so. pic.twitter.com/huIPIh82CN
— HMNB Portsmouth (@HMNBPortsmouth) February 12, 2018
— TfL Traffic News (@TfLTrafficNews) February 12, 2018
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- EXCLUSIVE: Hondurans caravan members carry their flag, burn US flag with swastika painted on it (PHOTO)
- REPORT: Caravan migrants becoming sick due to severe conditions (Photos, Videos)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man claims Texans are preparing for WAR at border
- BREAKING: Mexican newspaper provides shocking new estimate of migrant caravan numbers
- VIDEO: Univision anchor makes claim about caravan migrants
- POLL: Do you believe the migrant caravan will actually be turned away at the U.S. border?
- VIDEO: Kim Kardashian sticks up for Kanye’s support of Trump on Alec Baldwin show
- BREAKING: Retired Supreme Court Justice sends letter, has ‘beginning stages of dementia’
- VIDEO: Reporter says Kamala Harris received ‘Rock Star Reception’ in Iowa, photos contradict claim
- REPORT: Only one candidate shows up for debate in hot Senate race