Discovery of unexploded WWII bomb shuts down airport
The London City Airport was temporarily closed Monday due to the uncovering of a WWII bomb.
The bomb was found in the River Thames, and authorities quarantined the zone for proper and safe removal.
The New York Post reports the following:
“LONDON — All flights to and from London’s City Airport were cancelled on Monday after an unexploded World War Two bomb was found in the River Thames at George V Dock, the airport said.
Police said the ordnance was found during work at the airport on Sunday and they set up a 200-meter exclusion zone.
The Metropolitan Police said properties within the exclusion zone had been evacuated and a number of roads were cordoned off.
Robert Sinclair, CEO of London City Airport, the city’s fifth biggest and the most central, said: “The airport is cooperating fully with the Met Police and Royal Navy and working hard to safely remove the device and resolve the situation as quickly as possible.””
— Metropolitan Police (@metpoliceuk) February 12, 2018
First photos from our @RoyalNavy bomb disposal experts who are @LondonCityAir with @metpoliceuk where a 500kg German air-dropped bomb was discovered yesterday. It will be destroyed as soon as safe to do so. pic.twitter.com/huIPIh82CN
— HMNB Portsmouth (@HMNBPortsmouth) February 12, 2018
— TfL Traffic News (@TfLTrafficNews) February 12, 2018
Trending on DML News
- POLL: Should U.S. taxpayers have to fund education for illegal alien children?
- BREAKING: Two injured in Indiana school shooting, shooter in custody
- REPORT: Michael Flynn tweets, deletes photo of Hillary Clinton with accused sex offender
- REPORT: Estimated 7,000 bodies may be buried at former asylum
- Trump Tweets: Releases a Twitter Storm against Dems!
- REPORT: Trump taps vocal anti-illegal immigration advocate for State Dept’s top refugee job
- REPORT: State Department warns of dangerous destinations in Mexico for Memorial Day weekend
- VIDEO: Assange may be forced from Embassy, wants to share information about ‘collusion’
- REPORT: Customers suing McDonald’s for $5M over cheese
- VIDEO: Hillary Clinton tells what company she would like to control, to distribute ‘accurate news’