Discovery of unexploded WWII bomb shuts down airport
The London City Airport was temporarily closed Monday due to the uncovering of a WWII bomb.
The bomb was found in the River Thames, and authorities quarantined the zone for proper and safe removal.
The New York Post reports the following:
“LONDON — All flights to and from London’s City Airport were cancelled on Monday after an unexploded World War Two bomb was found in the River Thames at George V Dock, the airport said.
Police said the ordnance was found during work at the airport on Sunday and they set up a 200-meter exclusion zone.
The Metropolitan Police said properties within the exclusion zone had been evacuated and a number of roads were cordoned off.
Robert Sinclair, CEO of London City Airport, the city’s fifth biggest and the most central, said: “The airport is cooperating fully with the Met Police and Royal Navy and working hard to safely remove the device and resolve the situation as quickly as possible.””
— Metropolitan Police (@metpoliceuk) February 12, 2018
First photos from our @RoyalNavy bomb disposal experts who are @LondonCityAir with @metpoliceuk where a 500kg German air-dropped bomb was discovered yesterday. It will be destroyed as soon as safe to do so. pic.twitter.com/huIPIh82CN
— HMNB Portsmouth (@HMNBPortsmouth) February 12, 2018
— TfL Traffic News (@TfLTrafficNews) February 12, 2018
For more on this story, click the "read more" button below.
Trending on DML News
- Florida lawmaker’s aide fired after claiming Florida shooting survivors are actors
- Florida student speak out: I’m not a crisis actor (video)
- Pelosi proposes SHOCKING alternative to border wall (video)
- Prominent attorney charged for sexually abusing dog (video)
- UPDATE: 7th grader who shot himself at school had alarming items in backpack
- Trump accuser makes ominous threat (video)
- Reader sends screenshot of Facebook’s new censorship ploy (picture)
- Mueller files additional charges against Manafort, Gates
- REPORT: Retired sanitation worker makes $285K a year from pension
- WaPo publishes video comparing Trump and Obama reactions to school shootings (video)