DOJ announces massive cost to taxpayers so far for Mueller’s Russia probe (video)
A new Justice Department report released on Tuesday reveals that special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia probe has cost taxpayers approximately $6.7 million in its first four-and-a-half months.
The spending totals include $3.2 million spent directly by Mueller for salaries, travel, rent and equipment, and another $3.5 million was spent for Justice employees who have been detailed to the Mueller probe, which is examining ties between Moscow and President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign, according to a Politico report.
Mueller’s been hiring new attorneys to the tune of $500,696 since he was appointed in mid-May. He also spent $733,969 to acquire office equipment for the investigation, which the DOJ report explained will be kept as the property of the federal government after the probe has ended.
Staffers who have temporarily relocated to the investigation’s headquarters in Washington have been reimbursed more than $220,00 for their travel expenses.
Mueller has also spent $157,339 for a variety of contractual services, including $111,245 for information technology, $24,456 for transcription and $17,217 for building services.
The report notes that, in addition to Mueller’s spending, $3.5 million was spent during the course of the investigation on DOJ components that support the investigation, according to a report in The Washington Times.
That figure “approximates expenditures the components would have incurred for the investigations irrespective of the existence of the SCO,” the report states.
Retired Secret Service agent Dan Bongino said in a Fox News interview Tuesday morning that the whole thing is a sham and a scam.
— Fox News (@FoxNews) December 5, 2017
Trending on DML News
- Trump Tweet: Video of Hillary Clinton: ‘This is classic!’
- REPORT: Injured, starving teen found living in barn was ‘within a week of death’
- VIDEO: Rand Paul blocks Sanders’ resolution, calls it ‘crazy hatred’ against Trump
- BREAKING: Mueller offered Podesta immunity to testify against Manafort, claims Fox News host
- REPORT: Woman robs, murders mom, grandmother and goes on spending spree
- FOOD WARNING: Popular sweet treat recalled amid salmonella scare
- VIDEO: Democrats erupt in ’USA’ chant on House floor
- BREAKING: NFL team to discipline players who protest during national anthem
- REPORT: Video emerges of Melania Trump looking horrified after shaking Putin’s hand
- REPORT: Maxine Waters warns supporters of possible ‘armed protests’ against her