Ecuador grants citizenship to WikiLeaks founder (video)
A photo posted on Twitter of WikiLeaks publisher Julian Assange wearing the home jersey of the Ecuadorian Football League was his way of announcing that he has been granted citizenship by Ecuador.
The news comes after efforts to arrange for him to safely exit the nation’s embassy in London failed after the United Kingdom denied a request from the Ecuadorian government to give the man diplomatic status.
Ecuador’s foreign minister on Thursday said that authorities agreed to naturalize Assange, an Australian citizen, as Quito works to resolve the international impasse that made him a resident of its embassy since 2012, The Associated Press reported.
— Julian Assange ⌛ (@JulianAssange) January 10, 2018
Assange, 46, entered the Ecuadorean Embassy in 2012 to avoid answering to Swedish authorities wishing to question him over allegations of sexual assault. He received political asylum in August 2012, and Stockholm prosecutors dropped their investigation in 2017.
However, the WikiLeaks founder still risks arrest if he leaves the embassy, because British authorities argue that he broke the law by entering the embassy in violation of previously imposed bail conditions connected to the Swedish probe.
— Julian Assange ⌛ (@JulianAssange) October 13, 2017
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Roseanne fires back at show after character killed off
- BREAKING: Honduran migrant caravan swells to 4,000 as U.S. border crossings spike
- VIDEO: Chief Justice Roberts Breaks Silence On Kavanaugh Fight
- BREAKING: U.S. Treasury senior official arrested, charged with leaking info on ex-Trump advisers
- REPORT: Kellyanne Conway’s husband pounces on Trump tweet with response
- VIDEO: Democrat senator McCaskill responds to undercover video with fierce allegation, as Part 2 released
- REPORT: FBI probing Manhattan district attorney’s office
- REPORT: Saudi Arabia makes HUGE deposit into American accounts as Pompeo lands in Riyadh
- BREAKING: Dem candidates for Congress raise record-shattering money for midterms
- POLL: Do you think the caravan heading to the US from Honduras will be allowed into the US