Ecuador grants citizenship to WikiLeaks founder (video)
A photo posted on Twitter of WikiLeaks publisher Julian Assange wearing the home jersey of the Ecuadorian Football League was his way of announcing that he has been granted citizenship by Ecuador.
The news comes after efforts to arrange for him to safely exit the nation’s embassy in London failed after the United Kingdom denied a request from the Ecuadorian government to give the man diplomatic status.
Ecuador’s foreign minister on Thursday said that authorities agreed to naturalize Assange, an Australian citizen, as Quito works to resolve the international impasse that made him a resident of its embassy since 2012, The Associated Press reported.
— Julian Assange ⌛ (@JulianAssange) January 10, 2018
Assange, 46, entered the Ecuadorean Embassy in 2012 to avoid answering to Swedish authorities wishing to question him over allegations of sexual assault. He received political asylum in August 2012, and Stockholm prosecutors dropped their investigation in 2017.
However, the WikiLeaks founder still risks arrest if he leaves the embassy, because British authorities argue that he broke the law by entering the embassy in violation of previously imposed bail conditions connected to the Swedish probe.
— Julian Assange ⌛ (@JulianAssange) October 13, 2017
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Wasserman Schultz appointed to House committee charged with oversight of Donald Trump
- BREAKING: President Trump sends letter to Pelosi regarding State of the Union speech
- BREAKING: Pelosi responds to President Trump regarding his State of the Union address
- VIDEO: Kentucky teen in viral video stands firm during grilling by NBC host
- VIDEO: Trump slams Pelosi for cancelling the State of the Union address
- VIDEO: Sarah Sanders responds to Ocasio-Cortez’s end-of-the-world prediction
- BREAKING: Police announce arrest made in case of incapacitated woman who gave birth (VIDEO)
- REPORT: 10 Democrats break with leaders, support GOP bill
- VIDEO: CNN guest: ‘I am triggered, I’m so triggered’ by MAGA hats
- VIDEO: President Trump responds to news of Pelosi’s dis-invite letter