Eric Trump’s charity comes under scrutiny
Newly released tax documents have again brought Eric Trump’s charitable foundation under scrutiny, this time for payments to companies owned by the Trump Organization where the charity regularly held events.
According to The Daily Beast, Eric Trump’s foundation, now called Curetivity, paid nearly $150,000 to the Trump Organization during the 2016 presidential campaign.
In 2016, Curetivity reportedly paid a total of $145,145 to four Trump companies, down from $322,000 the year before. From that total, $98,730 went to Westchester golf resort in New York, while lesser amounts were paid to Trump’s clubs in Mar-a-Lago, Fla., the Bronx and the Trump SoHo hotel.
More from The Hill:
Eric Trump’s charity regularly held charitable events at his father’s resorts and clubs, and the Trump Organization would then bill the foundation for services used.
Forbes reported last June that Trump previously insisted that his son’s foundation pay the Trump Organization for the events, despite the fact that the services could be offered for free.
Forbes also reported that Eric Trump had in the past falsely claimed that his charity uses Trump Organization locations completely free of charge.
The foundation was holding events at Trump Organization properties as recently as September 2017, when Forbes reported that Curetivity hosted a charitable event at the Trump National Golf Club in New York.
Eric Trump defended his foundation’s expenses in a statement to The Hill in September, noting the organization’s charitable work for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital.
“In the 10 years of operation, the Eric Trump Foundation [raised] over $16.3 million for St. Jude and maintained an expense ratio of less than 10 percent,” Trump said in September.
The foundation’s dealings have come under some scrutiny. Last June, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman’s (D) office opened an investigation into whether Eric Trump’s foundation improperly funneled money to the Donald J. Trump Foundation.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Parents Outraged Over Planned Parenthood’s Pornographic Sex Ed
- REPORT: Melania Trump Poses for pic with Clintons, Obamas and Bush family
- Former NFL star’s gun photo with daughter and date sparks outrage on Twitter (see it)
- REPORT: Bloomberg circumvents Trump, gives millions to fund deal that the president pulled out from
- VIDEO: Judge resigns after berating ill defendant who DIES three days later
- REPORT: Hillary Clinton slams Rudy Giuliani in tweet
- REPORT: Evangelical meeting turns to Trump-bashing
- CLAIM: ‘Real Collusion’ was between McCabe and Obama Justice Department
- VIDEO: Woman fined $500 for free airline snack
- DML TV: Guest to Bill Maher: ‘You need to have respect’ for Trump supporters