Facebook makes huge admission about data scandal
It was previously estimated that the British research firm, Cambridge Analytica, had improperly obtained personal data from about 50 million Facebook users.
Wednesday, Facebook admitted that the numbers were far higher, now saying as many as 87 million people may have been affected by the data theft.
Facebook posted a news release Wednesday, with an update on “Our plans to restrict data access on Facebook.”
“In total, we believe the Facebook information of up to 87 million people — mostly in the US — may have been improperly shared with Cambridge Analytica,” the social media giant admitted in the press release.
The Hill reported:
As a part of the data policy changes, Facebook said it will now delete Android users’ call and text logs that are older than a year following outcry over the practice.
The social media platform has been scrambling to temper criticism it has received following its disclosure that Cambridge Analytica improperly took user data and then did not delete the information after telling Facebook that it would.
The new estimate also comes one week before Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is set to testify before a congressional panel on his company’s handling of data and the fallout.
Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have hammered Facebook over its dealings with Cambridge Analytica and have called on Zuckerberg to answer questions on Capitol Hill. He has committed to testifying before the House Energy and Commerce Committee.
Dennis Michael Lynch and our dedicated staff at DML News continue to share with you each day the important news you need to know and have come to expect, despite the ongoing censorship from social media. We invite you to join us in this fight for America. (Scroll down for more information.)
Please consider adding your support to help our important missions! Just scroll down to the yellow “donate” button.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Every donation of $20 or more receives a FREE “I Am Team DML” bumper sticker. If you wish to order the bumper click ONLY, CLICK HERE.
We use PayPal to process online orders. To donate, click the yellow button below. If you don’t have a PayPal account, click the yellow button and check out using the option to use a debit or credit card. To mail in your donation, scroll to the bottom for more information.
To donate, click the yellow donate button above. Or you can mail a check. Make check out to:
PO BOX 704
Amagansett, NY 11930
*Please note that your donation to us is NOT tax deductible, as we are not a 501(c)(3) charitable organization and you should consult with your tax advisor if you’re uncertain about making this donation. You donation is a gift. Donations will be used to build and promote a new media service for Americans who seek the truth in news.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- OpEd: Venezuelan who fled socialism publishes alarming warning on Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘Green New Deal’
- REPORT: Democrat congress members took $60,000 trip to attend Beyonce concert in South Africa
- BREAKING: ‘Empire’ producers announce decision on Jussie Smollett following charges
- VIDEO: Roseanne Barr releases video blasting Ocasio-Cortez and socialism
- VIDEO: Trump has a plan to deal with attempt to block emergency order
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez rips media for reporting on her new luxury high-rise
- VIDEO: State senator calls U.S. flag a ‘rag,’ compares it to Nazi symbol, GOP senator gives emotional response
- REPORT: Covington Catholic lawyer ‘looking very carefully’ at Bill Maher over ‘defamatory’ statements (VIDEO)
- BREAKING: Singer R. Kelly Charged With Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse
- VIDEO: Jussie Smollett disses Donald Trump in leaked video of scrapped ‘Drop the Mic’ episode