Former RNC chair cites ‘evidence’ that Trump is racist (video)
In an appearance Friday on MSNBC’s “Live with Hallie Jackson,” former Republican National Committee chairman Michael Steele was asked if he thinks President Donald Trump is racist, following his reported remarks on Haiti and African countries.
“Yeah, I do,” Steele replied. “At this point…the evidence is controvertible.”
Steele further opined that Trump uses race as a tool “to move people emotionally to a space where he wants them to be to get a reaction out of them.”
“There are a whole lot of folks like Donald Trump,” Steele said. “White folks in this country who have a problem with the browning of America…When they talk about [wanting] their country back, they are talking about a country that was very safely white, less brown and less committed to that browning process.”
An outspoken Trump critic, the former RNC chairman has been known to say that the US “no longer has a moral compass” under Trump’s leadership.
Steele’s comments followed a Thursday meeting with a bipartisan group of lawmakers, in which Trump referred to immigrants from Haiti and African countries as coming from “shithole countries.”
Trump also reportedly said the U.S. should bring in more immigrants from countries like Norway.
In a statement, the White House did not deny Trump’s “shithole” comments, but Friday morning, Trump denied saying “anything derogatory about Haitians other than Haiti is, obviously, a very poor and troubled country” and said that while he used “tough language” in the meeting with lawmakers, “this was not the language used.”
Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), who was present in the meeting with Trump, said the president’s denials were “not true” because Trump “said these hate-filled things, and he said them repeatedly.”
Trump’s comments drew backlash from lawmakers on both sides of the aisle, media figures and foreign governments, many of whom accused Trump of racist behavior.
Haitians are great. Haiti is not.
Salvadorans are great. El Salvador is not.
Mexicans are great. Mexico is not.
It isn’t racist. It’s looking at the governments.
— RebelBlack (@RebelXBlack) January 12, 2018
.@HallieJackson: Do you think this president is racist?
Former RNC chairman @MichaelSteele: Yeah I do. Yeah I think at this point, I mean the evidence is incontrovertible, it’s right there
— MSNBC (@MSNBC) January 12, 2018
Trending on DML News
- GONE VIRAL: Mom of killed Navy SEAL hero rips Democrat for Purple Heart for Strzok comment
- Gowdy: Rosenstein should not be impeached, public hearings a joke
- REPORT: James Woods threatened by Stormi Daniels’ lawyer
- REPORT: California Dems stun Sen Feinstein
- POLL: Who is the most dangerous Democrat in 2020?
- REPORT: Gowdy says Mueller probe is not a witch hunt
- CLAIM: Princes Charles and William refused to meet Trump
- REPORT: White House explains why interview with CNN was cancelled
- ANSWER to who had more fake Twitter accounts, Obama, Clinton or Trump
- VIDEO: Hillary Clinton Attacks Trump With Vengeance In Address To Teachers Convention