Google announces army of 10,000 to clean up YouTube
Extremist content on YouTube is being targeted, as parent company Google moves to hire more than 10,000 staffers in the effort.
“We will continue the growth of our teams, with the goal of bringing the total number of people across Google working to address content that might violate our policies to over 10,000 in 2018,” YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki told Britain’s Daily Telegraph in an interview.
The video-sharing site has been used by extremists to “mislead, manipulate, harass or even harm” others, said Wojcicki in the wake of an increasing number of terror attacks in the United Kingdom.
British Prime Minister Theresa May has repeatedly called for an end to the “safe spaces” she says terrorists enjoy online, and she demanded that internet companies YouTube, Twitter and Facebook develop technology that will block the material before it can be seen. In a speech she made to the United Nations in October, she praised their efforts, but noted that it’s still not enough.
“The tech companies have made significant progress on this issue, but we need to go further and faster to reduce the time it takes to reduce terrorist content online,” she said, according to reports.
According to Wojcicki, YouTube engineers have developed a “computer-learning” technology that helps them to quickly identify and then remove radical content on a site. Hundreds of minutes of video are uploaded to the site every minute, according to the report.
The technology can be used to weed out other inappropriate content, including videos that contain inappropriate or exploitative content with children, which YouTube has also been trying to expunge.
Trending on DML News
- Trump Tweet: Video of Hillary Clinton: ‘This is classic!’
- REPORT: Injured, starving teen found living in barn was ‘within a week of death’
- VIDEO: Rand Paul blocks Sanders’ resolution, calls it ‘crazy hatred’ against Trump
- BREAKING: Mueller offered Podesta immunity to testify against Manafort, claims Fox News host
- REPORT: Woman robs, murders mom, grandmother and goes on spending spree
- FOOD WARNING: Popular sweet treat recalled amid salmonella scare
- VIDEO: Democrats erupt in ’USA’ chant on House floor
- BREAKING: NFL team to discipline players who protest during national anthem
- REPORT: Video emerges of Melania Trump looking horrified after shaking Putin’s hand
- REPORT: Maxine Waters warns supporters of possible ‘armed protests’ against her