GOP Senator introducing bill to nullify steel tariffs
Arizona’s Republican Sen. Jeff Flake has made no secret of his contempt for President Donald Trump. After suggesting over the weekend that Trump should be challenged in the 2020 primaries, he went on to introduce legislation Monday to invalidate Trump’s steel and aluminum tariffs.
According to Flake: “If we enter a trade war, we risk reversing those gains we have made. We in Congress simply can’t be complicit as this administration courts economic disaster in this fashion.”
The Hill reports: Flake… made a wide-reaching pitch to his colleagues from the Senate floor, saying if they are concerned about the tariffs, support free trade or want to continue the recent economic gains then they should support his legislation.“You can be pro-growth; you can be pro-tariff, but you can’t be both. … I would urge my colleagues to join me in exercising our constitutional oversight and to invalidate these irresponsible tariffs,” he said.
Trump’s plan to slap a 25 percent tariff on imported steel and a 10 percent tariff on imported aluminum were met with pushback from congressional Republicans. But legislation invalidating the tariffs would be a hard sell, as Trump would need to sign the bill.
The report continues: That could force any proposal to need two-thirds support in both chambers of the Republican-controlled Congress in order to override a potential veto.
Flake, on Monday, appeared to knock the president over his rhetoric, saying trade is sometimes used as a “scapegoat” during campaigns. Trump had taken a hard line on trade agreements during his presidential campaign.
“I understand free trade is sometimes a challenge. I understand that it’s a challenge on the campaign trail, certainly. It’s often easier to point to a shuttered factory and blame trade or immigration or some other convenient scapegoat,” he said.
Trending on DML News
- EXCLUSIVE: Letter from paramedic at Texas border reveals another side to immigration issue
- UPDATE: Sarah Huckabee Sanders responds to being kicked out of restaurant
- BREAKING: Vinnie Paul, legendary Pantera drummer, dies at 54
- EXCLUSIVE: Border Patrol agent contacts DML, shares unreported FACTS on issues at border
- REPORT: Five Charity Workers Kidnapped and Gang-Raped
- REPORT: Millennials have found a reason to be optimistic about Trump
- REPORT: Reviewers pounce on online report that Virginia restaurant refused to serve Sarah Huckabee Sanders
- REPORT: Kathy Griffin teams up with Stormy Daniels to send vulgar message to Trump (PICTURE)
- Trump Tweet: ‘OBAMA KEPT THEM IN CAGES, WRAPPED IN FOIL’
- UPDATE: Prosecution decision reached for five teens who laughed at and mocked a man as he drowned