GOP Senator introducing bill to nullify steel tariffs
Arizona’s Republican Sen. Jeff Flake has made no secret of his contempt for President Donald Trump. After suggesting over the weekend that Trump should be challenged in the 2020 primaries, he went on to introduce legislation Monday to invalidate Trump’s steel and aluminum tariffs.
According to Flake: “If we enter a trade war, we risk reversing those gains we have made. We in Congress simply can’t be complicit as this administration courts economic disaster in this fashion.”
The Hill reports: Flake… made a wide-reaching pitch to his colleagues from the Senate floor, saying if they are concerned about the tariffs, support free trade or want to continue the recent economic gains then they should support his legislation.“You can be pro-growth; you can be pro-tariff, but you can’t be both. … I would urge my colleagues to join me in exercising our constitutional oversight and to invalidate these irresponsible tariffs,” he said.
Trump’s plan to slap a 25 percent tariff on imported steel and a 10 percent tariff on imported aluminum were met with pushback from congressional Republicans. But legislation invalidating the tariffs would be a hard sell, as Trump would need to sign the bill.
The report continues: That could force any proposal to need two-thirds support in both chambers of the Republican-controlled Congress in order to override a potential veto.
Flake, on Monday, appeared to knock the president over his rhetoric, saying trade is sometimes used as a “scapegoat” during campaigns. Trump had taken a hard line on trade agreements during his presidential campaign.
“I understand free trade is sometimes a challenge. I understand that it’s a challenge on the campaign trail, certainly. It’s often easier to point to a shuttered factory and blame trade or immigration or some other convenient scapegoat,” he said.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Disturbing details emerge on Fox meteorologist who had eye surgery, then took her own life
- BREAKING: Chris Christie releases statement on White House chief of staff role
- REPORT: Eight newly elected Dem governors skip out on meeting with Trump
- REPORT: Maxine Waters’ Campaign ‘Debt’ to Daughter Skyrockets
- BREAKING: Fiance of missing Colorado mom driven away by deputies as FBI search team moves in on his ranch (VIDEO)
- REPORT: Venezuelans now regretting gun ban that stripped them of their weapons
- REPORT: Justice Department releases total cost of Russia investigation since May 2017; it’s staggering
- BREAKING: Beloved Fox TV meteorologist and mother-of-two takes her own life
- REPORT: Beloved holiday singer opens up about his son’s fight against liver cancer
- POLL: Is Michael Cohen telling the truth?