Health insurer reports huge loss after Trump’s decision on Obamacare
California-based Molina Healthcare, Inc., which operates in 17 states, has reported a $73 million loss due to a decision made by President Trump regarding Obamacare.
Molina Healthcare said Monday that President Trump’s decision to end the Affordable Care Act’s cost-sharing subsidies for low-income people cost the company $73 million in the final three months of 2017. Molina has since curtailed its participation in the ACA marketplaces for 2018.
Between the lines: The $73 million loss shows the magnitude of Trump’s move to stop paying the subsidies to insurers, and indicates Molina had to pay out a lot of medical claims for that subset of enrollees. Centene, another large ACA insurer, recently said it lost $22 million from the nonpayment of cost-sharing subsidies.
A press release posted on the Molina Healthcare website Monday included the following statement:
“Our fourth quarter results are emblematic of the significant transition Molina is undertaking,” said Joe Zubretsky, president and CEO. “The disappointment of contract losses and related goodwill charges, continued restructuring costs, and catch up adjustments to unacceptable Marketplace results are legacies of the past. Looking forward, the core business results showed improvement quarter over quarter, and we took steps to strengthen the quality of the balance sheet, all of which serve as a solid platform to achieve our margin recovery and sustainability plan we outlined for investors last month. Medical cost control, administrative cost discipline, and capital strength remain at the fore of our plan.”
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: Migrants defy police, break through fence at Guatemala-Mexico border (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Thousands of caravan migrants defy Mexico, wait on bridge at border after breaking down fence
- REPORT: ‘Halloween’ Billboard Hijacked to Target Maxine Waters (PHOTO)
- VIDEO: University of Montana students spell out messages on mountain ahead of Trump visit
- REPORT: Donor REVEALED for GOP Women’s Group Attacking Trump
- REPORT: Governor suspends reelection campaign, endorses Dem opponent
- BREAKING: Uncovered report reveals Claire McCaskill’s husband assaulted and peed on ex-wife
- REPORT: Manafort shows up to court in wheelchair
- BREAKING: White House responds to Saudi Arabia’s report on Khoshoggi’s death
- REPORT: New clues from 911 call emerge in case of missing Wisconsin girl