JUST IN: Trump announces decision on moving US Embassy to Jerusalem
Ending months of speculation on whether to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, President Trump announced his decision to move the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem Tuesday morning.
The White House reported that Trump conducted phone calls Tuesday morning with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and King Abdullah of Jordan.
The Palestinian Liberation Organization reported that Abbas said he received a phone call from Trump, informing him that the U.S. embassy will be moved to Jerusalem, and out of Tel Aviv, where it has been for 70 years.
Abbas’ spokesperson Nabil Abu Rudeina stated that Abbas warned Mr. Trump of the dangerous consequences that could result from the decision on the peace process, stability and security in the Middle East. Turkey’s leader reportedly also spoke out on Tuesday, saying moving the U.S. embassy would be a “fatal mistake” that would create a new conflict in the Middle East.
On Sunday, the president’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, indicated the decision was still pending. “The president is going to make his decision and he’s still looking at a lot of different facts and when he makes his decision he’ll be the one to want to tell you, not me. He’ll make sure he does that at the right time,” Kushner said at the Saban Forum in Washington, D.C.
President Trump had signed the six-month waiver in June, delaying the move of the embassy to Jerusalem, and the deadline for another waiver was Monday.
— CNN International (@cnni) December 5, 2017
— CBS News (@CBSNews) December 5, 2017
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: Russia’s presidential election results are in…
- BREAKING: Hillary Clinton issues statement about comments she made about Trump voters
- Cirque du Soleil performer dies in fall at Tampa show (video)
- VIDEO: Woman banned from airline after giving oral sex to stranger in bathroom
- TRUMP Tweet: Comey lied under oath (video)
- Sen. Graham calls for Senate hearing on McCabe firing and makes ominous prediction (video)
- Dem threatens to vote to impeach Trump
- POLL: Did Mueller investigation lead to Don Jr. and wife breakup
- Actor Jim Carrey tweets ugly portrait of Sarah Sanders (see painting)
- VIDEO: GOP Sen rips Trump in CNN interview, wants 2020 primary (video)