Knife-wielding man attacks guard outside ambassador’s home
A knife-wielding man attacked an Austrian army guard outside the residence of the Iranian ambassador in Vienna on Sunday night, and was fatally shot during the altercation.
According to police spokesman Harald Soros, the attacker, a 26-year-old Austrian who has not yet been named, “died on the street from his gunshot wounds.” Soros also reported that the guard initially used pepper spray to defend himself against the assailant.
The attack occurred around 11:35 p.m. local time, when the man confronted the guard on duty at the Iranian ambassador’s residence, CNN reported.
“They started a fight because the aggressor was too close and the soldier shot him at least four times with his handgun,” Soros said.
The soldier, a man in his early 20s, sustained non-life-threatening injuries to his left upper arm.
“He is in shock and in the hospital,” Soros said.
The residence, which is perpetually guarded by a soldier from the Austrian army, is equipped with security cameras, but it is unknown if the incident was captured on video.
Whether Iranian Ambassador Ebadollah Molaei was inside the residence at the time of the attack also remains unknown.
In the aftermath of the incident, Vienna police tightened security protecting other diplomatic missions throughout the city.
“We don’t know if this is the only aggressor or if there are other people involved,” said Soros.
Earlier in March, four people were stabbed in two separate knife attacks in Vienna.
— News of the world (@Newoftheworldd) March 12, 2018
Trending on DML News
- EXCLUSIVE: Letter from paramedic at Texas border reveals another side to immigration issue
- UPDATE: Sarah Huckabee Sanders responds to being kicked out of restaurant
- BREAKING: Vinnie Paul, legendary Pantera drummer, dies at 54
- EXCLUSIVE: Border Patrol agent contacts DML, shares unreported FACTS on issues at border
- REPORT: Five Charity Workers Kidnapped and Gang-Raped
- REPORT: Millennials have found a reason to be optimistic about Trump
- REPORT: Reviewers pounce on online report that Virginia restaurant refused to serve Sarah Huckabee Sanders
- REPORT: Kathy Griffin teams up with Stormy Daniels to send vulgar message to Trump (PICTURE)
- Trump Tweet: ‘OBAMA KEPT THEM IN CAGES, WRAPPED IN FOIL’
- UPDATE: Prosecution decision reached for five teens who laughed at and mocked a man as he drowned