Liberals push for eliminating ICE
As Democrats prepare for a battle for the presidency in 2020, they are facing increased pressure from liberals to campaign on abolishing the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency, according to a new report from Fox News.
ICE, the agency that enforces federal immigration laws by identifying, arresting and deporting illegal immigrants inside the United States, would be denounced in an effort to offer opposition to the Trump administration’s stance on immigration, according to the report
From Fox: In protesting the Trump administration’s policies toward illegal immigration, liberal commentators and writers have been embracing the idea of gutting ICE.
“This is a growing position on the left, and I imagine 2020 Democratic presidential aspirants will have to grapple with it,” liberal writer and MSNBC host Chris Hayes tweeted.
In January, the idea was endorsed by Brian Fallon, a former top aide to 2016 Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, and Eric Holder, President Barack Obama’s attorney general. The Daily Caller first drew attention to the calls.
“ICE operates as an unaccountable deportation force,” Fallon tweeted. “Dems running in 2020 should campaign on ending the agency in its current form.”
Thomas Homan, the acting director of ICE, has reacted to these calls by Democrats by saying they should speak to victims of illegal immigrant crime.
“These politicians, they need to talk to the victims of alien crime, talk to the parents that I talk to that lost children at the hands of criminal aliens,” Homan said Thursday on Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”
According to the report, the idea is picking up steam and some liberals are suggesting that any Democratic presidential candidate should be asked to make their opinions about the existence of ICE clear.
For more on this story, click the "read more" button below.
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: Hillary Clinton issues statement about comments she made about Trump voters
- Cirque du Soleil performer dies in fall at Tampa show (video)
- VIDEO: Jailhouse video shows deputies watching and laughing as inmate dies
- Trump Tweets: Hannity and the Witch Hunt!
- Trey Gowdy warns Trump not to fire Mueller (video)
- Comey’s book, not even out yet, hits major milestone
- REPORT: Facebook’s lack of leadership could sink the company
- POLL: Do you accept Hillary’s explanation for making comments about Trump voters
- BREAKING: Woman killed by self-driving Uber car (video)
- Sen. Graham calls for Senate hearing on McCabe firing and makes ominous prediction (video)