London mayor responds to Trump’s cancelled trip
Claiming that President Donald Trump “is not welcome here,” London’s Mayor Sadiq Khan claimed in a statement Friday that a visit by Trump “would without doubt have been met by mass peaceful protests.”
“It appears that President Trump got the message from the many Londoners who love and admire America and Americans but find his policies and actions the polar opposite of our city’s values of inclusion, diversity and tolerance,” Khan said in the statement.
“His visit next month would without doubt have been met by mass peaceful protests,” Khan said, noting that he hopes that Trump “also revisits the pursuit of his divisive agenda.”
Many Londoners have made it clear that Donald Trump is not welcome here while he is pursuing such a divisive agenda. It seems he’s finally got that message. pic.twitter.com/YD0ZHuWtr3
— Sadiq Khan (@SadiqKhan) January 12, 2018
In a late Thursday tweet, Trump cited a “bad” Obama-era real estate deal as the reason he canceled a trip to London to open the new U.S. embassy there.
After multiple media outlets in the United Kingdom speculated that Trump was leaning against making the trip to open the new U.S. embassy in Nine Elms in southwest London, the president tweeted, “Reason I canceled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for ‘peanuts,’ only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars. Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!”
According to The Hill, the process of relocating the U.S. embassy to Nine Elms began in 2008 when the President George W. Bush’s State Department signed an agreement with a real estate developer to purchase the property. The U.S. sold its embassy on Grosvenor Square in 2009 and began construction on the West Elm complex in 2013.
Relations between Khan and Trump remain contentious, with Kahn having called for Trump’s trip to the United Kingdom to be canceled after Trump tweeted a series of allegedly anti-Muslim videos from a far-right British source.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Wasserman Schultz appointed to House committee charged with oversight of Donald Trump
- BREAKING: President Trump sends letter to Pelosi regarding State of the Union speech
- BREAKING: Pelosi responds to President Trump regarding his State of the Union address
- VIDEO: Kentucky teen in viral video stands firm during grilling by NBC host
- VIDEO: Trump slams Pelosi for cancelling the State of the Union address
- VIDEO: Sarah Sanders responds to Ocasio-Cortez’s end-of-the-world prediction
- BREAKING: Police announce arrest made in case of incapacitated woman who gave birth (VIDEO)
- REPORT: 10 Democrats break with leaders, support GOP bill
- VIDEO: CNN guest: ‘I am triggered, I’m so triggered’ by MAGA hats
- VIDEO: President Trump responds to news of Pelosi’s dis-invite letter