Major advertiser issues warning to Facebook and Google
Unilever, one of the world’s largest advertisers, is worried that people won’t trust his brand if it’s associated with social media platforms that permit hate and fake news to fester.
Thus, the company is threatening to pull its investment and marketing from tech giants such as Google and Facebook if the platforms don’t do more to clean up their acts, and to protect children.
Reuters reports the consumer goods giant is set to put Silicon Valley on the hot seat during a speech Monday by Unilever’s chief marketing officer Keith Weed at an industry conference. Weed will call on the technology industry to improve transparency and consumer trust in an era of fake news and toxic online content.
The advertiser’s criticism comes as lawmakers, activists and former tech executives have blasted tech companies for their opaque policies and inability to scrub their platforms of extremist or illegal content and fake news.
Google, a unit of tech giant Alphabet, and Facebook are estimated to have taken half of online ad revenue worldwide in 2017 and more than 60 percent in the U.S., according to research firm eMarketer.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Wasserman Schultz appointed to House committee charged with oversight of Donald Trump
- BREAKING: President Trump sends letter to Pelosi regarding State of the Union speech
- BREAKING: Pelosi responds to President Trump regarding his State of the Union address
- VIDEO: Kentucky teen in viral video stands firm during grilling by NBC host
- VIDEO: Trump slams Pelosi for cancelling the State of the Union address
- VIDEO: Sarah Sanders responds to Ocasio-Cortez’s end-of-the-world prediction
- BREAKING: Police announce arrest made in case of incapacitated woman who gave birth (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: President Trump responds to news of Pelosi’s dis-invite letter
- REPORT: 10 Democrats break with leaders, support GOP bill
- VIDEO: CNN guest: ‘I am triggered, I’m so triggered’ by MAGA hats