Man sues Infowars, others, for defamation over Charlottesville rally
A defamation lawsuit was filed Tuesday against the media outlet Infowars, its owner Alex Jones and seven others, by a counter-protester who attended the deadly white supremacist rally last August in Charlottesville, Va.
The lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia by Georgetown Law’s Civil Rights Clinic on behalf of Brennan Gilmore, who alleges that Alex Jones and other far-right supporters, including former Rep. Allen West, R.-Ga., published stories about him that defamed him and inspired a deluge of harassment and threats against him.
Gilmore claims to be the victim of elaborate online conspiracies that made him the focus of a “deep-state” plot to stage the Charlottesville assault and destabilize the Trump administration after he posted a video on Twitter depicting the car attack that killed Heather Heyer and injured 36 others, The Hill reported.
“From Sandy Hook to ‘Pizzagate’ to Charlottesville, Las Vegas and now Parkland, the defendants thrive by inciting devastating real-world consequences with the propaganda and lies they publish as ‘news,’” Gilmore said in a statement.
“Today, I’m asking a court to hold them responsible for the personal and professional damage their lies have caused me, and, more importantly, to deter them from repeating this dangerous pattern of defamation and intimidation,” said Gilmore.
The lawsuit was specifically filed against Alex Jones, Infowars’ operating company Free Speech System, Infowars reporter Lee Ann McAdoo; Lee Stranahan, a reporter who has appeared in an Infowars video and has worked at Sputnik and Breitbart News; Jim Hoft, the author of the blog Gateway Pundit; former Rep. Allen West, who operates the website www.allenwest.com; Derrick Wilburn, author of a defamatory article about Gilmore on www.allenwest.com; and Scott Creighton, operator of the blog American Everyman.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Disturbing details emerge on Fox meteorologist who had eye surgery, then took her own life
- BREAKING: Chris Christie releases statement on White House chief of staff role
- REPORT: Eight newly elected Dem governors skip out on meeting with Trump
- REPORT: Maxine Waters’ Campaign ‘Debt’ to Daughter Skyrockets
- BREAKING: Fiance of missing Colorado mom driven away by deputies as FBI search team moves in on his ranch (VIDEO)
- REPORT: Venezuelans now regretting gun ban that stripped them of their weapons
- REPORT: Justice Department releases total cost of Russia investigation since May 2017; it’s staggering
- REPORT: Beloved holiday singer opens up about his son’s fight against liver cancer
- BREAKING: Beloved Fox TV meteorologist and mother-of-two takes her own life
- POLL: Is Michael Cohen telling the truth?