Middle East protesters take to the streets after Trump’s stand for Israel (videos & photos)
Protesters across the Middle East are having a fit after President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that the United States will now recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, and that the U.S. embassy will be moved from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.
Hamas declared that Trump has “opened the gates of hell,” as they burned U.S. flags in the Palestinian territory.
Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas insisted that Jerusalem is the “eternal capital of the state of Palestine.”
Iran condemned the move, and Jordan said Trump has violated international law.
Protesters in Istanbul, Turkey took to the streets as well, and Turkey’s foreign ministry released a statement saying, ”We condemn the irresponsible statement of the U.S. administration… declaring that it recognises Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and it will be moving the U.S. Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem. We call upon the US Administration to reconsider this faulty decision which may result in highly negative outcomes and to avoid uncalculated steps that will harm the multicultural identity and historical status of Jerusalem.”
In an opinion editorial for the New York Post, John Podhoretz wrote:
“What Trump did was stunning. He could just have signed the waiver of the law passed in 1995 compelling the executive branch to move America’s embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. He did it six months ago, just like his three immediate predecessors did every six months since 1996. Or he could have not signed the waiver and simply said he was going to start the process of building the new embassy.
“Instead, he called the international community’s seven-decade bluff and ended a delusion about the future that has prevented Palestinians from seeing the world and their own geopolitical situation clearly. It is a bold shift.”
Below are photos and videos of some of their demonstrations against Trump’s move.
— SYEDA TUBA ANWAR (@TubaAtweets) December 6, 2017
Huge protests in Turkey 🇹🇷 in front of the USA embassy against Trump decision to move the US embassy to #Jerusalem city and recognize it as a capital of Israel ! #القدس_عاصمه_فلسطين_الابديه #Jerusalem_The_Capital_of_Palestine pic.twitter.com/NeolOnmRux
— Ÿousef🇵🇸 (@Joo_Gaza) December 6, 2017
— Daily Express (@Daily_Express) December 6, 2017
— Mete Sohtaoğlu (@metesohtaoglu) December 6, 2017
GAZA – NOW: Hundreds Protests in the Gaza Strip against Trump decision over Jerusalem, as Hamas calls for a day of rage and violence. pic.twitter.com/hcQEbgkqwa
— Israel News Feed (@IsraelHatzolah) December 6, 2017
— Guido Mastrangelo (@GuidoGma) December 6, 2017
Trending on DML News
- Trump Tweet: Video of Hillary Clinton: ‘This is classic!’
- REPORT: Injured, starving teen found living in barn was ‘within a week of death’
- VIDEO: Rand Paul blocks Sanders’ resolution, calls it ‘crazy hatred’ against Trump
- BREAKING: Mueller offered Podesta immunity to testify against Manafort, claims Fox News host
- REPORT: Woman robs, murders mom, grandmother and goes on spending spree
- FOOD WARNING: Popular sweet treat recalled amid salmonella scare
- VIDEO: Democrats erupt in ’USA’ chant on House floor
- BREAKING: NFL team to discipline players who protest during national anthem
- REPORT: Video emerges of Melania Trump looking horrified after shaking Putin’s hand
- REPORT: Maxine Waters warns supporters of possible ‘armed protests’ against her