Nazi bookkeeper dies before serving prison sentence
Oskar Groening was a death camp guard known as the “bookkeeper of Auschwitz” and convicted of being an accessory to murder. Sentenced four-years in prison, he died Monday at 96 before ever entering a cell.
From Fox News: Groening, a former SS sergeant, was convicted in July 2015 of being an accessory to the murder of 300,000 Jews. He was expected to start his four-year prison sentence, but died at a hospital, the Jerusalem Post reported, citing Germany’s Der Spiegel.
German prosecutors deemed Groening to be fit enough to go to prison as long as there was appropriate medical care. A federal court rejected Groening’s appeal in November.
The BBC reported the following about Groening after his 2015 trial: Mr. Groening, known as the “book-keeper of Auschwitz”, was allegedly responsible for counting banknotes confiscated from prisoners.
Prosecutors in Lueneburg, northern Germany, also allege that he hid victims’ luggage away from new arrivals, to disguise the victims’ fate.
Mr. Groening, who began work at Auschwitz aged 21, admits witnessing the mass killing of Jews but denies he was an “accomplice”.
He has spoken publicly about his role in the camp – and it is that aspect of his case that observers such as Nazi hunter Efraim Zuroff say makes it particularly important.
“It’s the first in recent history in which a defendant has talked [publicly] about the horrors of Auschwitz, that’s something you almost never see,” Mr. Zuroff told the Wall Street Journal. last year.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Disturbing details emerge on Fox meteorologist who had eye surgery, then took her own life
- BREAKING: Chris Christie releases statement on White House chief of staff role
- REPORT: Eight newly elected Dem governors skip out on meeting with Trump
- REPORT: Maxine Waters’ Campaign ‘Debt’ to Daughter Skyrockets
- BREAKING: Fiance of missing Colorado mom driven away by deputies as FBI search team moves in on his ranch (VIDEO)
- REPORT: Venezuelans now regretting gun ban that stripped them of their weapons
- REPORT: Justice Department releases total cost of Russia investigation since May 2017; it’s staggering
- REPORT: Beloved holiday singer opens up about his son’s fight against liver cancer
- BREAKING: Beloved Fox TV meteorologist and mother-of-two takes her own life
- POLL: Is Michael Cohen telling the truth?