Newark Airport issues infectious disease alert
NEWARK, New Jersey — Just as the weekend kicked off, the New Jersey Department of Health Health officials warned passengers who have been through Newark Airport that they may have been exposed to a highly-contagious disease.
“On January 2, 2018, an international traveler with a confirmed case of measles—a highly contagious disease—arrived in Terminal C at Newark Liberty International Airport and departed for Indianapolis from a domestic terminal,” a statement Issued by the Department of Health of New Jersey reads. The woman was identified as an Indiana University (IU) student.
A report from ABC News’ New York affiliate warned that the infected woman may have gone to other areas of the airport.
Anyone who was at Newark Airport on that day between the hours of 6:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. may have been exposed to measles. If infected, symptoms could show up as late as January 23.
The disease, which was largely eradicated during the past decade began to re-emerge several years ago, due to immunization fears and an influx of immigrants (see video about a recent outbreak in Minnesota, below), can be easily spread through via coughing and sneezing or coming in contact with the mucus or saliva from an infected person.
- high fever
- runny nose
- red, watery eyes
- encephalitis (swelling of the brain)
- in pregnant women, it can lead to miscarriage, premature birth or a low-birth-weight baby
Anyone who believes they are infected is urged to go to the doctor or an emergency department.
New Jersey health departments are also working to notify passengers who were potentially exposed on the infected passenger’s flight.
The Department has issued a public health alert for potential measles exposure at Newark Liberty International Airport. Contact a health care provider if you suspect exposure. https://t.co/4BX9MnSsUd #HealthyNJ
— NJDOH (@NJDeptofHealth) January 12, 2018
— Radio Far Side (@RadioFarSide) January 13, 2018
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Roseanne fires back at show after character killed off
- BREAKING: Honduran migrant caravan swells to 4,000 as U.S. border crossings spike
- REPORT: Kellyanne Conway’s husband pounces on Trump tweet with response
- VIDEO: Chief Justice Roberts Breaks Silence On Kavanaugh Fight
- BREAKING: U.S. Treasury senior official arrested, charged with leaking info on ex-Trump advisers
- VIDEO: Democrat senator McCaskill responds to undercover video with fierce allegation, as Part 2 released
- REPORT: FBI probing Manhattan district attorney’s office
- REPORT: Saudi Arabia makes HUGE deposit into American accounts as Pompeo lands in Riyadh
- BREAKING: Dem candidates for Congress raise record-shattering money for midterms
- POLL: Do you think the caravan heading to the US from Honduras will be allowed into the US