Newark Airport issues infectious disease alert
NEWARK, New Jersey — Just as the weekend kicked off, the New Jersey Department of Health Health officials warned passengers who have been through Newark Airport that they may have been exposed to a highly-contagious disease.
“On January 2, 2018, an international traveler with a confirmed case of measles—a highly contagious disease—arrived in Terminal C at Newark Liberty International Airport and departed for Indianapolis from a domestic terminal,” a statement Issued by the Department of Health of New Jersey reads. The woman was identified as an Indiana University (IU) student.
A report from ABC News’ New York affiliate warned that the infected woman may have gone to other areas of the airport.
Anyone who was at Newark Airport on that day between the hours of 6:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. may have been exposed to measles. If infected, symptoms could show up as late as January 23.
The disease, which was largely eradicated during the past decade began to re-emerge several years ago, due to immunization fears and an influx of immigrants (see video about a recent outbreak in Minnesota, below), can be easily spread through via coughing and sneezing or coming in contact with the mucus or saliva from an infected person.
- high fever
- runny nose
- red, watery eyes
- encephalitis (swelling of the brain)
- in pregnant women, it can lead to miscarriage, premature birth or a low-birth-weight baby
Anyone who believes they are infected is urged to go to the doctor or an emergency department.
New Jersey health departments are also working to notify passengers who were potentially exposed on the infected passenger’s flight.
The Department has issued a public health alert for potential measles exposure at Newark Liberty International Airport. Contact a health care provider if you suspect exposure. https://t.co/4BX9MnSsUd #HealthyNJ
— NJDOH (@NJDeptofHealth) January 12, 2018
— Radio Far Side (@RadioFarSide) January 13, 2018
Trending on DML News
- GONE VIRAL: Mom of killed Navy SEAL hero rips Democrat for Purple Heart for Strzok comment
- Gowdy: Rosenstein should not be impeached, public hearings a joke
- REPORT: James Woods threatened by Stormi Daniels’ lawyer
- REPORT: California Dems stun Sen Feinstein
- POLL: Who is the most dangerous Democrat in 2020?
- REPORT: Gowdy says Mueller probe is not a witch hunt
- CLAIM: Princes Charles and William refused to meet Trump
- REPORT: White House explains why interview with CNN was cancelled
- ANSWER to who had more fake Twitter accounts, Obama, Clinton or Trump
- VIDEO: Hillary Clinton Attacks Trump With Vengeance In Address To Teachers Convention