NY surgeon captured in multimillion-dollar health insurance scam
A New York cardiologist has been linked to a multimillion-dollar health insurance fraud, according to officials. The doctor and multiple other scammers have been arrested, their captures coming at the conclusion of a lengthy investigation by the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office, who uncovered the details of the scheme.
Dr. Robert Vaccarino, 61, a cardiologist from Breezy Point, Queens, was reportedly working with a group of partners who allegedly cheated various health insurance plans of “hundreds of millions” of dollars, according to The New York Daily News, which cites “sources with knowledge of the case.”
Sources say that after obtaining the funds, some of the alleged scammers “blew their fraudulent earnings on luxury goods,” the New York Post reports.
The Post, which labeled Vaccarino an “NYPD surgeon,” reports that he was taken into custody in Brooklyn Heights, with his arrest occurring early Tuesday morning at around 4:30 a.m. Vaccarino faces allegations of grand larceny and enterprise corruption charges, officials said.
The hefty indictment in the case is scheduled to be unsealed on Tuesday, the Post reports, as the Brooklyn Supreme Court arraigns the doctor and a “slew of other partners in the scam.”
According to U.S. News and World Report:
Vaccarino is a cardiologist in Brooklyn, New York and is affiliated with multiple hospitals in the area, including Maimonides Medical Center and Mercy Medical Center.
He received his medical degree from University of Bologna and has been in practice for more than 20 years.
Dr. Vaccarino accepts several types of health insurance, listed below.
He is one of 84 doctors at Maimonides Medical Center and one of 206 at Mercy Medical Center who specialize in Cardiovascular Disease.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS California CaliforniaCare HMO
- BCBS California PPO
- BCBS Illinois PPO
- Blue Shield California PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access
- CIGNA PPO
- Coventry Health Care PPO Platinum
- Empire BCBS HMO
- Empire BCBS PPO
- First Health PPO
- GHI PPO
- Great West PPO
- Health Alliance PPO
- Health Net California Large Group PPO
- Healthfirst New York
- HIP of New York – Select PPO
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- MagnaCare PPO
- Multiplan PHCS PPO
- Multiplan PHCS PPO – Kaiser
- Multiplan PPO
- MVP Healthcare PPO
- Oxford Health Freedom
- Oxford Health Liberty
- Pacificare HMO
- United Healthcare – Direct Choice Plus POS
- United Healthcare – Direct Options PPO
NYPD Surgeon Dr. Robert Vaccarino among 20 defendants in massive alleged Medicaid fraud scheme totaling $146 million. “Recruiters” even found “patients” outside soup kitchens- allegedly gave kickbacks for imaginary tests. pic.twitter.com/b9FudoCLEH
— Stacey Sager (@staceysager7) December 5, 2017
— Colin R. O’Leary (@ColinOLearyNY) December 5, 2017
Trending on DML News
- Trump Tweet: Video of Hillary Clinton: ‘This is classic!’
- REPORT: Injured, starving teen found living in barn was ‘within a week of death’
- VIDEO: Rand Paul blocks Sanders’ resolution, calls it ‘crazy hatred’ against Trump
- BREAKING: Mueller offered Podesta immunity to testify against Manafort, claims Fox News host
- REPORT: Woman robs, murders mom, grandmother and goes on spending spree
- FOOD WARNING: Popular sweet treat recalled amid salmonella scare
- VIDEO: Democrats erupt in ’USA’ chant on House floor
- BREAKING: NFL team to discipline players who protest during national anthem
- REPORT: Video emerges of Melania Trump looking horrified after shaking Putin’s hand
- REPORT: Maxine Waters warns supporters of possible ‘armed protests’ against her