Obama ‘spreading lie’ about school gun violence
On Monday, former President Barack Obama repeated statistics that have been debunked by multiple fact-checkers, and his gaffe went unchecked according to an opinion piece in the Washington Examiner.
Speaking a keynote address at the interventional cardiology conference (CRT 2018) in Washington D.C., Obama repeated the claim that there have been 18 school shootings in 2018.
“If you ask me the thing that broke my heart, particularly when now I see there have been, and I’ve gotta update this, […] 18 shootings in schools this year… this year!” Obama said.
The Examiner piece claims: Despite the fact that it was debunked, it didn’t stop the former president from spreading the lie.
The piece continues: Obama recalled that the political fallout of the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., remains the most frustrating and worst parts of his presidency.
“Probably the thing that haunts me the most is the fact that after 20 six-year-olds were gunned down in the most brutal fashion possible, so much so that the police who found them had to get counseling and I had to spend hours with the parents after children they had sent off to school, almost toddlers, did not come home. Despite that, I could not get this Congress to move on anything, even the most modest approaches to reducing gun violence in our society,” Obama explained. “It was the worst day of my presidency. I’ve said it before. And the fact that we didn’t try was shameful. It was embarrassing.”
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Video captures horrifying moment of deadly New Zealand volcano eruption, Americans among tourists trapped on island
- REPORT: Social Security announces Cost of Living increase for 2020
- VIDEO: ‘I Shouldn’t Have Done It’: Elizabeth Warren Apologizes When Confronted About Native American Claims
- REPORT: Biden: ‘Nobody warned me’ about Hunter and Ukraine because Beau was dying
- VIDEO: Witness makes admission about Ukranian phone call, Schiff jumps in to halt Nunes’s questioning
- BREAKING: Chilling new details revealed about Saudi students’ actions before Florida naval base attack [VIDEO]
- VIDEO: Graham: We Will End Impeachment Trial ‘As Quickly As Possible’
- VIDEO: Protestor interrupts impeachment hearing, screams at Nadler, hauled out of room
- VIDEO: ‘They’re irrelevant’: Nadler defends not calling Republican witnesses for impeachment
- REPORT: New Muslim congresswoman flips after election, now supports anti-Israel boycott