POLL: Did the ‘anti-hate’ resolution chastise or empower Ilhan Omar?
Following backlash over anti-Semitic remarks made by Democratic Muslim congresswoman Ilhan Omar, the House passed a resolution on Thursday to address the matter.
However, 23 Republicans refused to vote for the measure, as it was watered down to include many other “forms of hatred,” along with anti-Semitism, and did not even mention Omar by name.
The resolution threw in condemnation against “white supremacists” for “targeting traditionally persecuted peoples, including African Americans, Native Americans, and other people of color, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, immigrants, and others with verbal attacks, incitement, and violence.”
Democrats later amended the bill to condemn any hatred against Latinos, Asian-Americans and Pacific Islanders and the LGBTQ community.
Ilhan Omar, whose anti-Semitic remarks prompted the bill, voted for it herself, and later issued a statement, along with her fellow Muslim colleagues, Rashida Tlaib and Andrew Carson, applauding the measure as “great progress,” saying, “Today is historic on many fronts. It’s the first time we have voted on a resolution condemning Anti-Muslim bigotry in our nation’s history. Anti-Muslim crimes have increased 99% from 2014-2016 and are still on the rise.”
PLEASE TAKE OUR POLL BELOW – WE WANT YOUR OPINION. Did the ‘anti-hate’ resolution chastise or simply empower Ilhan Omar?
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: White House Communications Director suddenly resigns
- Footage of NY legislator’s embarrassing traffic stop released to the public (VIDEO)
- REPORT: CNN host calls Benghazi scandal a ‘sham’ during debate on Mueller probe
- REPORT: Buttigieg blasts ‘hypocrisy’ of evangelicals for supporting Trump
- REVEALED: Rashida Tlaib wrote column for Anti-Semitic publication in 2006
- VIDEO: Buttigieg brandishes his military service to smack Trump as a draft dodger
- BREAKING: Google employee, 22, found dead inside NYC headquarters
- EXCLUSIVE: The final Instagram post by murdered pregnant mom Shanann Watts
- DML TV: President Trump and first lady Melania participate in event honoring military mothers
- The eye-opening list of donors to the Clinton Foundation (list)