POLL: Do you approve of Congress changing the rule against head coverings on the House floor?
On Thursday, the House of Representatives, including several newly sworn-in members of Congress, passed a new rules package intended to “restore inclusion and diversity.”
Among the new rules was an exception to a 181-year-old ban against the wearing of any head coverings on the House floor. Now, for the first time since 1837, headwear may be worn on the House floor – if it is for religious reasons. The rules package passed in a 234 to 197 vote.
Also on Thursday, the first female Muslims were sworn in to office – Rashida Tlaib, a Palestinian-American from Michigan, and Ilhan Omar, a Somalian refugee from Minnesota.
Omar, who wears a head covering, celebrated the new rules package with a statement on Twitter, writing, “Yesterday, Congress voted to lift a 181 year ban on headwear to make the #116thCongress more inclusive for all. I thank my colleagues for welcoming me, and I look forward to the day we lift the Muslim ban separating families all over the U.S. from their loved ones.”
PLEASE TAKE OUR POLL BELOW – WE WANT YOUR OPINION. Do you approve of Congress changing the rule against headwear on the House floor?
Yesterday, Congress voted to lift a 181 year ban on headwear to make the #116thCongress more inclusive for all.
I thank my colleagues for welcoming me, and I look forward to the day we lift the Muslim ban separating families all over the U.S. from their loved ones.
— Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) January 4, 2019
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Omar Holding Secret Fundraisers with Islamic Groups Tied to Terror
- VIDEO: Fox News correspondent: Trump ‘glared at me like I’ve never seen him glare at me before’
- REPORT: Parkland shooting survivor takes her own life
- EXCLUSIVE: Schumer and Pelosi release joint statement about Mueller report (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Beto O’Rourke questioned by Afghanistan vet as aides drag him away
- EXCLUSIVE: Sen. Grassley releases statement, with warning, about the end of Mueller’s investigation
- VIDEO: Rep. Eric Swalwell: Trump will still have “indictments waiting for him” when he leaves office
- POLL: Was the Mueller investigation a ‘witch hunt’?
- EXCLUSIVE: Effort to push back on the rising socialist agenda is catching fire
- VIDEO: Middle Eastern Women’s Group Blasts Fox News Over Dumping Judge Jeanine