POLL: Do you approve of Congress changing the rule against head coverings on the House floor?
On Thursday, the House of Representatives, including several newly sworn-in members of Congress, passed a new rules package intended to “restore inclusion and diversity.”
Among the new rules was an exception to a 181-year-old ban against the wearing of any head coverings on the House floor. Now, for the first time since 1837, headwear may be worn on the House floor – if it is for religious reasons. The rules package passed in a 234 to 197 vote.
Also on Thursday, the first female Muslims were sworn in to office – Rashida Tlaib, a Palestinian-American from Michigan, and Ilhan Omar, a Somalian refugee from Minnesota.
Omar, who wears a head covering, celebrated the new rules package with a statement on Twitter, writing, “Yesterday, Congress voted to lift a 181 year ban on headwear to make the #116thCongress more inclusive for all. I thank my colleagues for welcoming me, and I look forward to the day we lift the Muslim ban separating families all over the U.S. from their loved ones.”
PLEASE TAKE OUR POLL BELOW – WE WANT YOUR OPINION. Do you approve of Congress changing the rule against headwear on the House floor?
Yesterday, Congress voted to lift a 181 year ban on headwear to make the #116thCongress more inclusive for all.
I thank my colleagues for welcoming me, and I look forward to the day we lift the Muslim ban separating families all over the U.S. from their loved ones.
— Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) January 4, 2019
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- POLL: Do you approve of President Trump cancelling Pelosi’s foreign trip?
- Trump Tweets: Disputed BuzzFeed report and ‘a son that loves his dad’
- REPORT: Trump administration issues stricter rules on travel for lawmakers
- BREAKING: House Dems to offer additional funding for ‘border security’ to reopen government
- TRUMP TWEET: Makes first public statement on cancelled Pelosi trip
- REPORT: Federal raids underway throughout Indianapolis
- BREAKING: Supreme Court scraps arguments on Trump census appeal
- REPORT: Bush calls on Trump, Democrats to ‘put politics aside’ and end the shutdown (picture)
- EXCLUSIVE: DML rips into five Democrats on Twitter
- REPORT: Poll: Voters in red state view Pelosi more favorably than Trump