POLL: Do you agree with Trump’s new crackdown on immigrants using welfare?
The Trump administration announced Monday that immigrants seeking to become a legal permanent resident of the United States of America need to be able to stand on their own two feet.
Therefore, those who have used Medicaid, food stamps, housing vouchers or other forms of public assistance may have a difficult time obtaining a green card or visa.
“We certainly expect people of any income to be able to stand on their own two feet. If people are not able to be self-sufficient, then this negative factor is going to bear very heavily against them in a decision about whether they’ll be able to become a legal permanent resident,” acting U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Director Ken Cuccinelli said on Monday.
The new rule is scheduled to take effect in mid-October. However, there are several exceptions. The Associated Press reported:
Women who are pregnant and on Medicaid or who need public assistance will not be subject to the new rules during pregnancy or for 60 days after giving birth. The Medicare Part D low-income subsidy also won’t be considered a public benefit. And benefits received by children until the age of 21 won’t be considered. Nor will emergency medical assistance, school lunch programs, foster care or adoption, student loans and mortgages, food pantries, homeless shelters or disaster relief.
Active U.S. military members are also exempt, as are refugees and asylum seekers.
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO TAKE OUR POLL BELOW – WE WANT YOUR OPINION. Do you agree with Trump’s new crackdown on immigrants using welfare?
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Text messaging startup that aided Dem campaigns in midterms fires huge portion of its staff
- REPORT: Doctor accused of being drunk at work indicted in deaths of three patients
- REPORT: Judge allows Trump to appeal Democrats’ emoluments lawsuit
- VIDEO: Surveillance video shows what happens when illegal aliens try to climb new border wall
- TRILOGY DVD (They Come to America I, II, and III)
- REPORT: Parents outraged as CA preps graphic sex ed program
- REPORT: San Francisco to scrub ‘dehumanizing labels’ from criminals
- How You Can Help Stop Amnesty
- VIDEO: Watchdog alerts Trump that border agency violated DNA collection law for years, letting violent criminals walk free [READ LETTER]
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez hits back at Jamie Dimon after Green New Deal criticism